How long in primary? filtering? move to secondary? cold crashing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dylanphelan

Reaction score
Hi

I brewed a variation of Sacred Summit Ale that i found on the forum.

It's been a really hot summer and I've struggled to keep fermentation temps down.

My beer has been fermenting at around 24 Celcius (75 F) for the last 2 weeks. Give or take a few degrees. It's been in a big bucket of water with a towel and ice packs. (it even went up to 26C / 78.8F at times)

anyway - i decided it was time to go and get some more gear. So i'm picking up a small fridge and temp controller later today.

What would be best from here?

I will be able to control the temp down to about 3 degrees celcius (if i want to cold crash it). I forgot to add irish moss, so i thought cold crashing would help it clear.

Also - my last beer had quite a lot of hops floating around in the bottles, so i was thinking of running it through a sieve while moving it to a secondary.

Tomorrow will be 2 weeks in the primary.

What would you suggest i do from here?

thanks! :mug:

FG was down to 1010 a few days ago already.

I dry hopped it shortly thereafter. (5 days ago)

Have you tried putting a nylon bag over your siphon when you transfer? I'd have to think with that and cold crashing you should have pretty clear beer.

do you mean when i transfer from the boil pot to the fermenter?
I tried using a sieve then, but it got too clogged up.

or from primary to secondary?

Right, primary to keg or bottling bucket. The cold crash should clear it up nicely and then the nylon filter should stop most of the stuff you stir up in the process.

so - based on my info in the first post...

should i still leave it longer in the primary?

should i cold crash in the primary then move to bottling bucket?

or should i pour it through a sieve into the secondary then cold crash?

i now have my cooler and temp controller - would it help to keep it at 18 celcius before doing anything?

I always dry hop for around 9 days give or take a day depending on my schedule. I use a 1 gallon paint strainer on the end of my siphon hose with a decent amount of slack as to create a "bag" effect then I tighten it to the tube with a "zip tie"(all being sanitized of course). If you're kegging, carb as normal same with bottling. Those temps do sound a little high to me but it generally depends on what you fermented at for the first 4 days. That is when you would develop fusel alcohol phenols.

i now have my cooler and temp controller - would it help to keep it at 18 celcius before doing anything?

You must confirm with hydrometer that FG has been reached. If so I would not bother with Secondary. Cold crash for about 3 days then bottling bucket and bottle or keg would be my suggestion. What is all this hop material floating in the primary? Did you dry hop in the FV? If you are careful transferring to bottling bucket then there should be minimal trub to transfer into bottles.

dylanphelan said:

-Generally the advice given from this forum is to leave your beer for about 3-4 weeks in the primary. A gravity reading will tell you for sure. At those temps though you gotta assume your done.

-That's what I do with good results, although I keg now.

-No, cold crash primary, then use the filter from cold crashes primary to bottling bucket or keg.

- not that I'm aware of

thanks for the replies.

well - this beer has been in the primary for 2 weeks now.

FG was at 1010 a few days ago already. i'm sure it's done.

found an awesome little guinness branded bar fridge. busy cold crashing in that.

planning to bottle on sunday. (friday now)

Back