Chest Freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K5MOW

Reaction score
Hi all
I would like to know what is the smallest chest freezer that you all have used that will hold at lest one 6 gallon carboy with the airlock on . I would like to get the smallest one I can get that would hold one 6 gallon carboy.

Thanks

Roger

If space is the issue, you might have better luck looking for a mini fridge instead of a freezer.

Here's mine . . .
10306d1237254904-old-mini-fridge-fermentation-chamber-build-fermenator-03.jpg

You can definitely fit one carboy in a 5 cu ft freezer, but if you can score a 7 cu ft you'll be able to get one more on the compressor hump. Of course, then you'll have to figure something besides an airlock because it will be too tall, and you'll probably have to build a collar to raise the "ceiling."

Both of these things are so worth having the extra space.

You can definitely fit one carboy in a 5 cu ft freezer, but if you can score a 7 cu ft you'll be able to get one more on the compressor hump. Of course, then you'll have to figure something besides an airlock because it will be too tall, and you'll probably have to build a collar to raise the "ceiling."

Both of these things are so worth having the extra space.

Do you mean that one 6 gallon carboy with the airlock on the carboy will fit in a 5 cu ft freezer and if I got a 7 cf ft freezer then I could fit one with the airlock on and one with out a airlock.

Roger

How did you invert that freezer coil??? Pleasy oh Great One tell of this secret...

looks like the freezer panel was turned 180° counter clockwise and some of the cooling line was pulled through as well.

but don't take my word for it

-=Jason=-

Do you mean that one 6 gallon carboy with the airlock on the carboy will fit in a 5 cu ft freezer and if I got a 7 cf ft freezer then I could fit one with the airlock on and one with out a airlock.

Roger

Yes, you should be able to fit one carboy in the lower section of a 5cu ft chest freezer, allowing you to keep an airlock on it.

Don't be so obsessed with the airlock... you can put a loose piece of foil on top, or a blowoff hose. There are so many options. Shop for space requirement.

Roger

If you got a 7cf you can fit two, both with air locks or blowoff hose. Here is mine with buckets, but carboys will fit too.

5361810559_46a6968907_z.jpg

I have a 7 cu feet freezer and I can fit two 6.5 gallon carboys in the bottom. I use the hump to store the blowoff jug.

Yes, that is what it looks like. And that's what I want to know the "how" of. :)

looks like the freezer panel was turned 180° counter clockwise and some of the cooling line was pulled through as well.

but don't take my word for it

-=Jason=-

the home depot 5 cubic feet holds one carboy, but I also have a winpack 6 gallon cube that fits on the side (compressor hump), so I can fit 2 batches in a the same time. not ideal, but better than having a 7 cubic feet one...

Back