hops question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dodizzy

Reaction score
I was just wondering if you are supposed to take out the hops when you take the wort and put it into a cooler/primary? I have asked a few people about this and have gotten mixed answers. some say that you should leave it in and filter out when going into secondary to add flavor, and some say to take it out. any ideas? thanks

Ive always heard, and taken it out before primary. I use grain bags for my hops so i dont have to strain anything, just pull the bag out.

Definitely take out those hops. They have served their purpose, and can cause off-flavors if left in the fermenter.

If you want more hop aroma in your beer, you can dry hop in the secondary fermenter.

i'm still messing about with hop pellets... what happens is they settle out in the kettle whilst it is cooling... then i syphon off the wort down to the sediment bed and leave the nasties in the kettle.

one day i'll get whole hops when i move the operation out of the kitchen into the garage. i already have the room in the basement where the carboys bottles and equipment is stored and the beer ages up and running with the addition of some gorrilla rack shelving!!!

the beer room my daughter calls it :)

t1master said:
i'm still messing about with hop pellets... what happens is they settle out in the kettle whilst it is cooling... then i syphon off the wort down to the sediment bed and leave the nasties in the kettle.

one day i'll get whole hops when i move the operation out of the kitchen into the garage. i already have the room in the basement where the carboys bottles and equipment is stored and the beer ages up and running with the addition of some gorrilla rack shelving!!!

the beer room my daughter calls it :)

Im changing to whole hops as well. Tired of the muck at the bottom of the pot with only a couple batches.

Plus, Im going to set up the same thing in my basement as well. Cool idea.

I too always remove them, using a strainer into the primary......

the next batch I am making is a Stout and I also am moving to leave hops....... should be alot less work with the straing.

Back