Beer Conditioning when Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jchadscud

Reaction score
I typically do a 7 day primary, 14 day secondary and then keg. My question is, should I be allowing the beer time to condition after I keg for better beer? I typically start drinking the beer after it has been force carbonated, but I do notice that as time passes the beer gets better. (Did I just answer my own question?)

Right now, I just have a kegerator with room for 2 corny kegs. I'm seeing the need to obtain additional kegs and then maybe a chest freezer for storage/conditioning after kegging.

I typically do a 7 day primary, 14 day secondary and then keg.

Leave it in the Primary for 3 weeks total, dont bother with the secondary if your not going to secondary for 4+ weeks. Atleast do the primary for 2 weeks :)

My question is, should I be allowing the beer time to condition after I keg for better beer? I typically start drinking the beer after it has been force carbonated, but I do notice that as time passes the beer gets better. (Did I just answer my own question?)

Never hurts to let her keep aging

Right now, I just have a kegerator with room for 2 corny kegs. I'm seeing the need to obtain additional kegs and then maybe a chest freezer for storage/conditioning after kegging.

Can never have to many kegs.

Don't need to keep the kegs cold while storing/conditioning them just like you don't keep bottles cold when they are conditioning.

Don't need to keep the kegs cold while storing/conditioning them just like you don't keep bottles cold when they are conditioning.

So after kegging, I could just shoot the keg with 30psi or so and let them set at room temperature? That would be ideal. I guess you would still have to balance the carbonation after you chilled the keg, but that wouldn't be that big of a deal.

30 PSI is what I do, and bleed and blast again. This way I seat the lid properly, and ensure no CO2. When it's time to put it on, I chill, and force carb (30PSI about 2 days bleed and put on serving pressure). The 30 PSI to seat the lid won't carb your beer, so you will still have to force carb.

...My question is, should I be allowing the beer time to condition after I keg for better beer?...

A great deal depends on the beer style and recipe.

I'd advise you:

• Buy more kegs so you can keep your pipeline brewing without bottle necking your storage.
  • Eventually invest in an additional chiller (chest freezer) so you can add additional taps.
  • Get brewed up to the point where your tapping 2-3 month old kegs...not 3-4 week old kegs.

Cornies are a cheap source of storage.

Filled_Kegs.JPG

A great deal depends on the beer style and recipe.

I'd advise you:

• Buy more kegs so you can keep your pipeline brewing without bottle necking your storage.
  • Eventually invest in an additional chiller (chest freezer) so you can add additional taps.
  • Get brewed up to the point where your tapping 2-3 month old kegs...not 3-4 week old kegs.

Cornies are a cheap source of storage.

I ended up doing this very thing... found myself able to get cornies @ $17; it's nice to have a few deep with beer already aging.

When keg conditioning can I just hook up the co2, crank it to 30psi, bleed a few times, then disconnect? I only have 1 co2 and 1 regulator that will be running my kegerator so I won't be able to have it hooked up during the aging/conditioning process.

Back