Rye Ale need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MMasher

Reaction score
Hey guys I have never done a Rye Ale and would like to know if anyone has any ideas as to, what would taste good. I have worked up this so far would like some imput thanks....This is first that i have tried to make my self......

1.25 lb Crystal 120L
3 lb 2 Row
.50 lb Choclate Rye Malt
1 lb Rye Malt
2 lb Rice Flakes

.50 oz Warrior 60 min
.50 oz Fuggle 15 min
.50 oz Brewers Gold 5 min

WYeast 1098 British Ale

Gonna make her kinda light... interesting. I've made rye beers with as much as 40% rye malt. Your recipe worries me that you'll not have the body to carry those hops. Maybe try a step mash up to 158 F. That'll help convert quickly and leave behind some unfermentables to create some body and mouth feel. Also before sparging, strike conversion by bringing temp. above 168 F.

Hey guys I have never done a Rye Ale and would like to know if anyone has any ideas as to, what would taste good. I have worked up this so far would like some imput thanks....This is first that i have tried to make my self......

3 lb 2 Row
1.25 lb Crystal 120L
.50 lb Choclate Rye Malt
1 lb Rye Malt
2 lb Rice Flakes

.50 oz Warrior 60 min
.50 oz Fuggle 15 min
.50 oz Brewers Gold 5 min

WYeast 1098 British Ale

I assume you are going for a 5gallon brew?

I agree with everyone else and go for more base. I just did a lighter Rye in my recipe dropdown called Ryenbow Bright. It used 30% Rye (3.5lbs), 30% 2 Row (3.2lbs) and only had 3.8%alc. You might want to get at least 8-10lbs of bases in order to keep the alc around 4.5%-5%. Also, that is a lot of Crystal 120. It is going to really make it not only darker but also quite raiseny. Taste the C120 and you will see what I mean there.

All the above though is my opinion and you are the one making and drinking the beer so....

Thanks for the input I will plug some stuff into beer smith and see what comes up just downloaded it, Guess this ones is not the best to start with trying to make my own recipe?

Back