Are you a Beer Snob?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mornin. I couldn't get the link to work. The message said something about "...needing repair..."

i fixed your link for you 5 Ways To Know If You

1. that guy doesn't know the difference between micro brew and craft brew. he thinks craft brew is made in peoples basements. wrong! that's micro brew. craft brew is micro brew that is no longer made in very small batches.

2. he thinks beer snobs buy 12 packs. wrong! we buy beer by the singe bottle from specialty shop for more money than one of those 12 packs he has in his mind.

3. he thinks that homebrewers cannot make top quality beer.

he is like one of those people that has never had children, but writes a series of instructional parenting books. i say to him "keep drinking your sh*tty schwill, brah!"

Signed,
real beer snob

This ********* would do good in the worst beer thread. Probably say something about budlight wheat tasting like vomit or something and then raving about natty light being he best because it's flavorless. 5 days later he will have a face book photo of a bottle in road kill he bought for $500 on ebay.

snob? no. if it tastes good to me I will drink it.

my go to super cheap beer would be something like Miller High Life...good thing I make my own.

I guess it takes a ****** to know a ******. I think that guy needs to go back to snob school cuz he hasn't quite graduated yet. Even my first few batches of homebrew, definitely sub par mind you, didn't taste like rancid poison toad sweat.

hipsters. LOL :mug:

See, I love beer. I particuarly love beer that tastes like something other than sour fizzy water.

However, will I drink Stella or Heineken at a club, restaurant, or party where my only other choice is Bud or Miller Light? Yeah. Why? I dunno, I guess I like that skunky metallic aftertaste.

I've also been known to drink a Corona or two or three on a hot summer day while enjoying some tasty Mexican food.

Cheap beer does have it's place, and I'm not such a raging beotch beer snob to not accept that.

Heck, I feel I've made a positive impact on my ex-bf - who used to only drink BL. I've actually convinced him to try craft beer and now he buys Dead Guy Ale, or some random IPA that catches his attention. My work here is done :)

I guess I must be a beer snob - I don't remember the last beer I drank out of a can - and I know I'm a *********, but it was a year and a half in Germany, not a month in Europe. As someone already noted, twelve packs are pretty rare, but I haven't *****ed-up to the 8-15 dollar 22 ouncers yet, and I don't drink much from Belgium, so maybe there is hope.

I guess I must be a beer snob - I don't remember the last beer I drank out of a can

Then you're really missing out on a ton of craft beers that are now in cans.

Cans are revolutionizing the craft beer industry.

Where the heck have you been the last couple years? Fat Tire's been in cans IIRC three years.

20100128craftbeercans1.jpg

5+Beers.jpg

KH--four-pack.jpg

These ain't your daddy's bud any more.

What happend was the minimum order for cans was dropped to a level that made it reasonable for microbreweries to start canning. Now the minimum order is IIRC 150,000 cans when before it used to be substanitally higher.

This is the company that has made it available to the smaller level craft brewer....

WELCOME TO CASK.COM

cask468best%20brew%20banner%20200578.gif

We've been talking about it on here for several years.

There's quite a lot of discussions on canned craft brews on here. Including one I started a couple weeks back when Sierra nevada announced they were going to.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/li...ks-canning-craft-brews-230690/?highlight=cans

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/craft-beer-can-221600/?highlight=cans

It's awesome. There's a lot of places that don't allow glass, so we're often limited in our beer choices then...not so much now.

Heck they don't even affect the taste of beer like they did in the 70's....even BMC's been using lined cans for maybe 20 years....

LOL, well I didn't expect this much of a response. I think I am a little bit of a Snob, but I don't fit any of those catagories. I sit next to the taps if the other stools are taken, I probably mispronounce the names as bad as the next guy, was in europe once many years ago, dimmly remember it and I even knew the pic was not europe. I also happen to think I make better beer than most of the stuff you can buy, but aspire to get close to Stone and the big Belgians.
I have over the last couple years since I started brewing discovered a Big Wide World of taste that I didn't know was there, before that my fav was Guiness, still is to be honest.
Now if I could get that good...

I love beer. I consider myself a beer geek. I like beer, to brew beer, to talk beer, beer history, etch.

I no longer care who brews what or who drinks what. I think beer is beer, and this is the best time to drink/brew beer. There's plenty for everyone...those who like light lagers and those who like ales...we have plenty to choose from. Hell even in my chain grocery store, there's now more craft beer on the shelves than BMCs.....

I don't like rice adjuncted light lagers, or rice adjuncted lagers in general, not because they're BMC, or made by the "evil empire" and I'm "better" than those folks that drink it, but because they contain rice. So I don't like bud, bud light or sapporo for instance. But if other folks do, it's their choice. If that's all that's available, I'll drink wine or mixed drinks.

But I know why I don't like them, not 'cause it's the beersnob/homebrewer thing to do....And I don't look down on the folks who choose to drink them.

A snob looks down on or judges what other folks drink. Or avoid certain beers, not because simply they don't like the taste, but for other reasons.

Even after all the years brewing and especially drinking craft and imported beers since 1986, the best beer I ever had was ice cold Negra Modelo Especial bought for probably a dime a bottle in 2001, in Ensenada Mexico, and drank on a Sandbar in mexico with fish tacos where the fish was caught and fried within a half hour after is was pulled out of the bay. With a simple wedge of lime for both.

Like what you like, drink what you want, and don't give a **** what other's think about it. Every beer has it's place and time.

Revvy said:
Then you're really missing out on a ton of craft beers that are now in cans.

Beat me to it. My local brewpub has been canning their beer since they opened 12 years ago, and another of my local craft brewers, Boonville Brewing Co, just started canning all their beers. Got some in my fridge, it tastes great. Aluminum is the most widely recycled material so it makes sense to can from an ecological perspective as well.

ForumRunner_20111119_102820.jpg

Yeah, there's a local brewery that sells 4 packs of pint-cants and they use the same plastic tops now instead of the old get-caught-on-wildlife style.

I have absolutely no problem with cans... but sometimes I feel like my brain tries to make a bias because it is in a can. For example, before I got over my own personal can-stigma, Fat Tire in a can had an odd taste that I just couldn't describe... but now it just tastes like Fat Tire. Stupid brain.

The writer is a bit of an idiot, really, even though I think it's supposed to be slightly amusing.

But I'm glad Stella Artois opened his/her eyes to "good" beer. :rolleyes:

Good,bad,can, or bottle... It's all beer and it has it's place. The article writer is a DUMBA$$! I enjoy tasting as many beers as I possibly can. When it sucks, I'll say it. When it's good, I'll say that too, and then go buy more. Isn't America great?! The true beer-snob-****** bags are F'ing annoying. Like others have said, "drink what you like, like what you drink".

I personally think that beer swills from a can much easier than a bottle. If I'm taking some beers to go do something where I won't be pouring them into a glass I would love to have it be in cans. I'm actually looking into canning my homebrew. The equipment the brewpub uses is really simple.

While reading the article,I began to wonder if the writer was one of those BMC swillers himself. That he tried a better quality beer,& dubbed it craft beer. Stella def isn't one,but not bad beer. He just comes across to me like someone without a real clue trying to sound intelligent on the subject.
As for myself,I like a wider range of beers that I hadn't seriously considered before getting into home brewing,studying beer history,ingredients,etc.
So it can open up one's appreciation for different beers. I'm just not that much of a snob. When $$ gets tight,I'm not above a 12 pack of Milwaukee light,now brewed by Miller. A Ukrainian buddy at work wouldn't drink anything but miller over here. Why,I asked? He said it was the closest one to the beer they drank back home. That was downright interesting.

The writer is a bit of an idiot, really, even though I think it's supposed to be slightly amusing.

I loved this part
When you’re not listening to the works of Ian Mackaye, you're busy espousing how ****ing “genuine” you are in a world of “posers” or eating your organic tofurkey.
Not only are you a beer ******, you're a straight edge, vegan, beer ******. Now that's funny.

Mmmm......yes. I think the intention of the author was to be humorous or ironic, but not sure he/she got the job done. The problem (as we've all encountered repeatedly since the Internet became so ubiquitous) is that the subtleties of language that come through very well when we're face-to-face in verbal mode are either diluted or lost altogether in the writing of many people, particularly when attempting to do it in 25 words of less, which the whole online culture favors.

I take the article as a not particularly well-written bit on the conversion of someone from regarding beer as a cheap belly wash to the realization that it's a beverage we can respect and become involved in, to the point where we invest our time doing things.....like this.

"Even after all the years brewing and especially drinking craft and imported beers since 1986, the best beer I ever had was ice cold Negra Modelo Especial"
To be honest, I just tried Negra a couple of months ago - I think it's pretty damn good, even by craft beer standards. That's as smooth a lager as your going to find - struck me as a fantastic beer blackboard that just needs HOPS written across it.

This seems an appropriate time to hype my own post "Transitioning from Beer ****** to Beer Geek"

The Beer Geek

well said. Just find what you like,not what you should like. Never mind the trendy bs,since that's what BMC's have been doing for years to sell more of their beer.

I buy a lot of 12 packs but I'm not a snob.
twelvepacks004.jpg

twelvepacks make great reusable cases to transfer homebrew batches.

I buy them sometimes, I really like Sam Adams Chocolate Bock for instance, only available in the 12er. (Good "I'm bringing beer" case imo for the holidays) But buying single bottles when I can helps keep my input/output ratio even.

Yeah,they still make the Sunset wheat in bottles. I've gotten it in 6'rs or 12 packs around here. It's probably out of season at the moment. It's been a couple of months since I saw/bought any myself. We like that one too. Plus Leinenkugel's boxes are the only 12 pack boxes I've found that have separators in them! That's why there's so many of them in that pic I just took.

Don't know,don't care. I like Leinenkugel's. The boxes with separators is a bonus. Too bad Yuengling doesn't have such nice boxes. 3 dogs brewing has some nice,long skinny neck bottles that look a lot like the shape of Paulaner's.

"Even after all the years brewing and especially drinking craft and imported beers since 1986, the best beer I ever had was ice cold Negra Modelo Especial"
To be honest, I just tried Negra a couple of months ago - I think it's pretty damn good, even by craft beer standards. That's as smooth a lager as your going to find - struck me as a fantastic beer blackboard that just needs HOPS written across it.

One of the big things I look forward to when we go to our favorite Mexican restaurant is a couple of Negra Modelos......the other Mexican beers I've had you can pretty much keep.

Latest posts

Back