Why I love Austin Homebrew supply

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metaltim

Reaction score
Placed my order at 2:30 yesterday.. (props to UPS too)

Here's the tracking:

HOUSTON, TX 08/28/2009 3:37 A.M. OUT FOR DELIVERY
08/28/2009 1:15 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
AUSTIN, TX 08/27/2009 10:11 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
08/27/2009 8:31 P.M. ORIGIN SCAN
08/27/2009 6:27 P.M. BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

Will be on my doorstep when I get home 24 hours later:rockin:
So worth the $8, I'd spend that much in gas going to and from my LHBS anyway.

that's it, nothin here to spill a beer over:mug:

I wonder what kind of labels and recipes are included. It's like the thinking mans Swiss Army knife for homebrewing.

I wonder what kind of labels and recipes are included. It's like the thinking mans Swiss Army knife for homebrewing.

2GB USB storage!....It also has our in-store beer kit menu which is just an easy way of looking up kits. The labels are the same labels that are found on each recipe page.

here is a larger image:

Click on the image for further details.

yeh, the fact that it's homebrew related completely negates any nerd connotations that may be implied.

Dang it I just bought two 4Gb drives earlier this week..

also, seems it would be a better design to have the keychain attached to the middle of body, rather than on the end.. If that's attached to a keychain, is it easy to use? (the beer opener part)

It also has our in-store beer kit menu which is just an easy way of looking up kits.

is it updateable?

Dang it I just bought two 4Gb drives earlier this week..

I have 20 gig on various drives that I carry around.

Also - I signed up with their member ship and while I'm not saving as much as advertised (I skip a few things) it is still a money maker in the long run.

It's been a joy to watch them grow.

I don't mean to hijack this thread but this is something I don't know about.

Please PM me so I can take care of it.

Forrest

Same here, not trying to hijack the thread...Just adding my perspective as a dissatisfied customer.

We last discussed the price misquote on 01-04-2009, 02:30 PM. If you save your PMs, I encourage you to look it up. Otherwise, I can resend your response.

A "price misquote". ummmm and you are upset?. Mistakes happen. Move on.

kanielb1 - I have not seen a recipe page either - perhaps it's a page recipe kits they are talking about not actual recipes?

It would be nice to know if their in-store beer kit menu can be updated or is it a one time thing - updating would totally rock!

A "price misquote". ummmm and you are upset?. Mistakes happen. Move on.

Alright, I guess you've forced me to explain...And you're correct - mistakes happen. But, I haven't shopped there since.

I called AHS to get an in-store price quote for a bag of 2-row. The quote was about $10 lower than the homebrew shop in SA and I'd heard good things about them, so I made plans to drive up to Austin in a couple of weeks. They mentioned I should contact them in advance to make sure they have full bags on hand, so I PM'd Forrest a couple of days before and he quoted me a price for 2-row and maris otter.

I was happy with the quote, so I drove up to Austin (1.5hrs) and both prices were wrong. The maris otter price was at least $20 higher and the 2-row price was about $5 higher. Naturally, I was pretty frustrated with the maris otter price difference. After much convincing, the salesman went to speak with Forrest in the back. The salesman came back out a few minutes later and said I could have $10 off the bag of maris otter. So, the price was still $15 higher that what I was quoted.

I then asked to speak with Forrest and was told "he's already left". I later PM'd Forrest when I got home and learned he had a death in the family, which is why he left without speaking to me. Totally understandable, but I learned that after the fact.

Not honoring your quote may be acceptable to some people, but that's not how I choose to do business. Nothing personal Forrest, it's just business. ;)

I think there was probably a misunderstanding. I would have been suspicious of a $10 difference between their price and your LHBS. Definitely sounds like a misunderstanding. Besides, I'm not sure I would have driven an hour and a half when I could have had them ship it for $8.

I love 'em. I'm still gonna do business with 'em!!

Besides, I'm not sure I would have driven an hour and a half when I could have had them ship it for $8.

55# sacks of grain are not available online at AHS, just in-store...I just looked and they have 50# boxes of grain for $59.99 (a significant markup over cost) to cover shipping.

It's just not cost feasible to ship large quantities of grain via UPS/FedEx.

I thought this thread wasn't going to be highjacked?

I have agreed to make it up to him. Is it really still an issue?

I have a staff of people to handle price quotes. I made the mistake of trying to quote a price when I wasn't at work to look it up.

I should have directed him to the store instead of trying to quote a price on a forum private message.

It was a mistake.

Forrest

Another reason why I love Austinhomebrew:

I forgot to include the discount code for the 50 state sale (AZ was yesterday) - I pm'ed Forrest, he responded in about 10 minutes and took care of the discount.

Ordered Tuesday afternoon and it's set to be delivered Friday with the flat rate shipping option!

Thanks Forrest :mug:

Forrest, thanks for sending the t-shirt and cocktail shaker...

Unfortunately, my dogs pulled the t-shirt off the table and decided to play tug-of-war with it.

Yesterday I placed my first order with AHS. All-grain pumpkin ale kit. OK, Forrest, here is your opportunity to gain another satisfied customer. I hope this will be the start of a long and happy relationship.

Another reason why I love Austinhomebrew:

I forgot to include the discount code for the 50 state sale (AZ was yesterday)

i was pretty pissed about this.. I didn't find out about it until.... you guessed it, the day after TX..

I so would have bought some stuff.

I got a delivery from Austin Home Brew yesterday. Pumpkin Ale kit plus some odds & ends. When going through my box I noticed the caps were left out of the order. It was not a big deal to me, because I knew I would be ordering again from them before the pumpkin would be ready to bottle.
I figured I'd call, so when I place my next order, they can send me the caps. I told the guy on the phone, it was no big deal, and just note
my accout for next time. Last night I got an email with a tracking number for the caps being sent.
That is customer service. He is paying to ship caps to me that are only worth $1.59 to keep a happy customer. Even though I told them it was not necessary.
Dave

I've only been brewing for a very short time and have only ordered from Austin Homebrew twice now but have been extremely happy both times. I'm still on extract kits but they came out excellent and the instructions were fantastic. Even living in Mass the shipping is pretty quick. My one problem is the damned shipping peanuts. Everytime I open a box my dogs attack all the peanuts and I spend the next hour hunting them down before the swmbo gets home and yells at me for "letting" the dogs eat styrofoam. It's all good. Keep up the great work and I'll keep spending my money.

I love AHS too, and when I get back from this deployment I have a huge order to fill. I live in San Antonio, so I get to drive up there and drink beer on 6th street and fill up on my brew list.

I love AHS too, and when I get back from this deployment I have a huge order to fill. I live in San Antonio, so I get to drive up there and drink beer on 6th street and fill up on my brew list.

Not sure where you live in SA and how long you've been deployed, but they've opened two new homebrew shops in SA during the last six months. One is on the northeast side (Homebrew Party) and other is on the northwest side (Homebrew Fetish). Homebrew Party has the best selection.

i was pretty pissed about this.. I didn't find out about it until.... you guessed it, the day after TX..

Don't sweat it, this isn't the first time he's done a 50 state sale, you'll probably see it again. That bottle opener/usb looks pretty sweet. :mug:

AHS does a great job of getting orders out. I was a little disappointed to find i couldn't get the 50 states deal and the free shipping for the membership on the same ticket. Not a big deal their speed in shipping to this dump I live in makes up for it, considering my LHBS is 4-5 hours away in Sante Fe/Albuquerque.

My last kit for the American Red Ale PM turned out looking pretty good, can't wait till the bottles are ready. It's nice that getting PM kits cuts off a few dollars from the recipe kits, which are already a good price to begin with. I'm looking forward to switching to AG with some of their kits.

I'm a big fan of Austin Homebrew. There's no LHBS in town, but I generally get my order the next day. I'll continue to shop there :)

Actually, that reminds me. I need to place an order in the next couple days.

not sure if you're into twitter or not, but it's a great way to stay up to date on lots of topics.

You can follow AHS on twitter: Austin Homebrew (AustinHomebrew) on Twitter

and they constantly update with various news about promotions, etc...so you'll always be in the know.

I am a huge fan of the fact that i can finalize an order at 3:00pm and have the box on my doorstep less than 24 hours later!

Plus...
1: great beer recipes
2: great prices
3: great selection
4: great customer service

Back