Very active fermentation...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrpinkbunny

Reaction score
Hi, I was originally looking for why my airlock might be bubbling over (something I wasn't expecting - started out having a nice blanket wrapped around the fermenter, glad I took that off!) and I found my answer in this thread.

This looks like an easy enough thing to solve, but it's late at night, and I won't be able to get anything until tomorrow afternoon at the best, will my beer be alright in the fermenter until then? (started it off about 24hrs ago) From the amount of bubbles that are in the airlock, I'd guess there was still a near enough air tight seal? I'm just a bit worried as this is my first brew...

Also - is any plastic tubing from the hardware store ok? I'm not sure where I'd get meidical/culinary tubing from...

my very first batch over flowed the airlock as well. all sorts of kreusen was erupting out of the thing. I just went over to the local homebrew store and picked up a blowoff hose. I'm not sure if you have a homebrew store in your area, but that is the best bet. Not sure about just getting something at the hardware store. All blowoff hoses that I've seen sold anywhere are always "food grade" vinyl, so I would assume that it is probably the best way to go.

My tubing from my racking cane fits into my airlock hole, so I've used that. I've also used a three piece airlock, and just removed the piece inside and stuck my tubing onto that. You might have some tubing that fits, depending on what you have.

Cool, cheers, I've just found out that there is a store nearby, so will be sure to head over there on my way home tomorrow. Will just make sure my airlock is topped up before I go out!

My tubing from my racking cane fits into my airlock hole, so I've used that. I've also used a three piece airlock, and just removed the piece inside and stuck my tubing onto that. You might have some tubing that fits, depending on what you have.

that's a really good idea. I've never thought of that.

Back