Adding some fruit to a light wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutt98

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a wit fermenting that I accidentaly used to much sparge water on (og 1.040) It has finished primary at 1.010. I'm wanting to split this batch up and attempt some fruiting of part of the batch and compare it to the unfruited "control." I know that fruit levels are personal preference, but should I dial back the amount of fruit since the beer is going to be lighter than anticipated? I was thinking 1# of blackberries or raspberries per gallon.

Well if you split them up into two different 2.75 gallon batches then adding a pound of fruit could be really strong.

I'm probably wrong. But I usually add the fruit in the boil. For a wit we added a full orange. It should turn out in the next few weeks.

You'll have to boil the fruit first to ensure cleanliness.

1. The fruit will dry out your beer, in essence making it "lighter" or thinner.
2. 1#/G is still recommended as that is pretty much the minimum to get any flavor or aroma.
3. There is no need to boil your fruit if you use frozen fruit and put it in frozen.

I'm planning on using frozen fruit. I used orange peel (bitter) in the boil but most threads on here seem to hint at about a lb per gallon in secondary for "other" fruits, which is my intention. As of right now I can't find any fruit though:(

Back