Fresh fruit and cold crash question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deuce40

Reaction score
I'm in the process of making a mango wheat beer and need some advice from you guys. I have 10 pounds of cut mangos that I froze and is now thawing out. I was planning on placing the mangos in my secondary and letting it completely ferment out, but after reading another post on this site I'm not sure if I should do that. I read that if I let it completely ferment out that I won't get that much of a mango flavor at all. It suggested that the yeast will completely ferment out all of the mango sugars that create mango flavors. It said to cool crash after 3 days in the secondary to stop fermentation and then bottle. I'm afraid that if I do this fermentation will begin again in the bottles and create bottle bombs. What should I do?

It said to cool crash after 3 days in the secondary to stop fermentation and then bottle. I'm afraid that if I do this fermentation will begin again in the bottles and create bottle bombs. What should I do?

I think you're correct about this. You'd be cold crashing which would halt fermentation, but then you'd be bottle conditioning in warmth again which would start it up and ferment any left over mango sugars, along with your priming sugar. Sounds like a bad idea to me...

I think your original plan is the best, yes the sugars will ferment out but some of the flavors should remain. (I've not yet used fruit in a beer but it works with honey! so if I'm wrong maybe someone else with more experience can correct)

That's what I was thinking thanks for the help any other ideas on how to preserve the fruit flavors from the mangos.

Back