Bitter with Cbus in Best Bitter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taboot

Reaction score
My LHBS left off my EKG portion of my recipe and I didn't realize it, until I was already down the road. It isn't convenient for me to head back there this weekend, so my option for what I have at home is to bitter with Columbus and do the rest with Willamette. I feel pretty good about the Willamette, but I am a little unsure about the Columbus. It would only be for bittering and I am looking to get about 30 IBUs out of it. Anyone with an opinion either way?

Never used Columbus so I can't comment on that.
I've used Willamette many times when I've been unable to get Goldings. It's always come out good.

-a.

Columbus is a bit harsh- good in American IPAs but I don't think it'd be great in a bitter. If you have any other hops you could use for bittering that would be my first choice.

Unfortunately, I only have the Columbus and Willamette. I am doing a BIB, so I thought about maybe FWH with the Columbus to potentially create a bit more mellow bitterness.

I use colombus for most of my bittering charges. It is very neutral (imo) and shouldn't give you any strange or off-putting flavors. I see no problem using it to bitter in your recipe.

I've used Columbus to bitter a BDSA and a strong scotch. It's bitterness is more assertive yet clean to me, but I've heard people say they can instantly tell it was Columbus used to bitter. I don't think it will ruin your flavor profile, just change it a little. It will still be good beer.

As for FWH, it will make the bitterness softer, but it will also lend flavor to the beer. Think about if that is what you want.

Colombus is a far cry from say chinook or northern brewer which I can instantly tell was used in a beer. That said, if you're truly worried about it, go with a willamette charge for your bittering addition and you'll be just fine as well.

Back