Help With Use of Cran-Raspberry Concentrate In Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ausfernan

Reaction score
I've made a few batches of wine using Welch's grape juice concentrate and they've all turned out great. I decided to experiment and use two cans of Cran-Raspberry Concentrate and one can of Grape juice concentrate (for approximately one gallon). I made a batch of standard grape as well and about a week later the Cran-Raspberry is showing far fewer signs of fermentation.

I know that cranberries (or maybe its the raspberries, I can't remember) contain benzoate which isn't really fermentable and I wanted to know if there was anything I did wrong and if there's any way I can save the batch. I added somewhere around 3 or so cups of sugar (I'm using yeast with high alcohol tolerance and I like my wine that way) and reactivated the yeast in warm water, for a bit more background information. Thanks everyone!

Bonzoate is really hard on yeast, you may have to re-pitch and give it a good whip if it doesn't start.

My question is....did your concentrate contain benzoate?

You mention showing signs of slow fermentation--some yeasts are not fast fermenters. As long as you are fermenting things should go well, many use those concentrates. Have you added nutrient?

And cranberries are the culprit, but should be negligible in the blend.

I'm using Lalvin EC-1118 (a fairly fast fermenter) and I used it for both the grape and the cran-raspberry batches. The grape is foamed up and there's condensation on the inside of the tub I'm using. There is little foam in the cran-raspberry and even less condensation. I have never had to use nutrient before and have gotten along fine until now. What would you recommend as a nutrient?

I have never had to use nutrient before and have gotten along fine until now. What would you recommend as a nutrient?

If you have access to LHBS I would purchase some. If you have bread yeast you can boil it...you'd have to do a web search on exactly how much. Yeast love ripe bananas, even a vitamin ground up, or B vitamin. May want to do some reading on nutrient use, very common in winemaking.

Back