Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrWhleDr

Reaction score
Just placed my hands on the one bottle I will have this year! Only 72 bottles in town. It says 70 IBU and 11.2%. Brewed with chocolate and coffee. I am excited about this bottle of beer. Has anyone else had it? What are your thoughts? I plan on keeping it in the basement until next winter. Hope it makes it. Lets hear what you all think about this beer. Anyone have a recipe for this?

No recipe here, but I do love a good chocolate stout, a good coffee stout, and a good stout for breakfast (only on weekends, of course.)

70 IBU though... phew, that's way above my limit for a stout. I like 'em big and malty, personally.

One last thought: If you're actually able to keep that beer unopened for a year, you have the patience of a saint. I hope that beer tastes amazing when you finally do crack the seal! :mug:

I hear it's awesome, and that it's being distributed to KY now! I'll have to keep an eye out.

It is a really good stout. It doesn't taste like it has 70 IBUs, it must be all the chocolate, coffee, oatmeal, and bourbon hiding the IBUs. I picked a case of it up at the release party at the brewery last week and plan on cellaring some to do vertical tastings. On tap that day they had the KBS, the KBS on nitro (amazing), and a Canadian Breakfast Stout which was aged in Canadian Whiskey barrels (Crown maybe).

I was just at the brewery this past weekend. The Kentucky Breakfast stout is amazing. I agree, the 70 IBUs are balanced perfectly. The Canadian Breakfast stout is actually made with local maple syrup that was made in Canadian Whiskey barrels. The bartender was really excited to explain all about it. It was one of the best brews I've had from them.

Total of 160 cases in Illinois, i got one case for my store.

And i broke a bottle yesterday :(

Picked up 2 four packs of the 2010. It's really good this year, maybe better than the 2009.

Enjoy it, it's a real treat.

I may be getting a 1/6th barrel of it. *Fingers Crossed*
Think its possible to age it in the barrel after tapping it or should I try and bottle some from the keg?

70 IBU though... phew, that's way above my limit for a stout. I like 'em big and malty, personally.

I haven't tried this one yet (picked it up last night), but at 11.2% IMO the 70 IBUs are not going to get in the way of the maltiness. Their imperial stout is 10% ABV and 90 IBUs and the taste I get is malt, malt and more malt.

The KBS is even more smooth once aged (I've had a 1 year and 2 year) but everyone is right, its not a strong hop flavor. If anything, you get hit byt eh bourbon the hardest.

Back