need help quick with a yeast starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basilchef

Reaction score
its been on the stir plate for 24 hours as of right now. i would rather pitch the starter directly without cooling and decanting. how long will it be ok on my stir plate? i dont like to go too much longer then 24 hrs due to some of the info i have come across recently from some dude in scrubs that works for wyeast online. should i take it off the stir plate or just leave it? also didnt have room for all my starter wort in my flask so i put the rest in another bottle and have been shaking it periodically. will they be fine to mix?

I would say YES to all your questions. you don"t have to decant, depending on your starter size (You didn"t say), I'd take it off your stir plate now. I usually pitch with-in 24 hours, but sometimes up to 3 days later. Yes if you sanitized well before you filled the vessels. Toss them in together.

Good Luck! :mug:

I would say YES to all your questions. you don"t have to decant, depending on your starter size (You didn"t say), I'd take it off your stir plate now. I usually pitch with-in 24 hours, but sometimes up to 3 days later. Yes if you sanitized well before you filled the vessels. Toss them in together.

Good Luck! :mug:

thanks my starter is 1.72L , should i just leave the yeast in my ferm chamber at ideal fermentation temp til tmro when i brew?

What do you have against chilling and then decanting so that you get the yeast without the extra spent starter wort? IMO, having ~1.5L of meh starter wort in a brew is a negative. It won't add anything positive to the brew.

I typically chill overnight and then decant and pitch the slurry (I leave maybe 1/4" of spent starter over the yeast to mix in with it to get it to flow) into the beer wort. Of course, I also oxygenate the beer wort with pure O2. IMO, you should do everything possible to get a better brew. Cutting corners won't get you there.

What do you have against chilling and then decanting so that you get the yeast without the extra spent starter wort? IMO, having ~1.5L of meh starter wort in a brew is a negative. It won't add anything positive to the brew.

I typically chill overnight and then decant and pitch the slurry (I leave maybe 1/4" of spent starter over the yeast to mix in with it to get it to flow) into the beer wort. Of course, I also oxygenate the beer wort with pure O2. IMO, you should do everything possible to get a better brew. Cutting corners won't get you there.

i dont want the yeast to go to sleep on me... i am learning more about starters and this is my first stir plate starter (not that it matters). my thought process was that if they stay at ideal ferm temp from start to finish and get pitched hungry they will be happier. im brewing tmro and was wondering if it was better to keep then at temp if poss or chill and decant? ps greeting from amherst MA

i dont want the yeast to go to sleep on me... i am learning more about starters and this is my first stir plate starter (not that it matters). my thought process was that if they stay at ideal ferm temp from start to finish and get pitched hungry they will be happier. im brewing tmro and was wondering if it was better to keep then at temp if poss or chill and decant? ps greeting from amherst MA

Just to put your mind at rest... My 'normal' process for starters has them going into the fridge ~24-30 hours before pitching time. I let them stay in the fridge until about 4-8 hours before I'll be pitching (I transport them to my brew buddy's in a cooler). I take the flask out of the cooler and put it onto the dining room table to start to warm up. About 10-20 minutes before I'll be pitching the yeast, I decant most of the spent starter and get the yeast into suspension. I make sure the stirbar isn't going to end up in the fermenter too. After I've oxygenated the beer wort, I pour the slurry into the fermenter. It then goes into the basement for the duration.

I typically get active fermenation sign in under 12 hours this way. I do try to get the yeast slurry within about 10-15F of the chilled wort. I also try to get my wort to the low end, or below that, for the yeast fermenting temperature. I've had it at 50-55F before, for a yeast that likes it in the low 60's. No issue with that, since it fermented very well. It ended up in about the middle of it's temperature range, maybe a little lower.

If you want to see how we (my brew-buddy and I) do things, let me know. I'll be brewing with him probably one more time before I move, and [hopefully] can brew at home again. Not sure where I'll be moving to just yet. We currently brew at his house in Sudbury.

Just to put your mind at rest... My 'normal' process for starters has them going into the fridge ~24-30 hours before pitching time. I let them stay in the fridge until about 4-8 hours before I'll be pitching (I transport them to my brew buddy's in a cooler). I take the flask out of the cooler and put it onto the dining room table to start to warm up. About 10-20 minutes before I'll be pitching the yeast, I decant most of the spent starter and get the yeast into suspension. I make sure the stirbar isn't going to end up in the fermenter too. After I've oxygenated the beer wort, I pour the slurry into the fermenter. It then goes into the basement for the duration.

I typically get active fermenation sign in under 12 hours this way. I do try to get the yeast slurry within about 10-15F of the chilled wort. I also try to get my wort to the low end, or below that, for the yeast fermenting temperature. I've had it at 50-55F before, for a yeast that likes it in the low 60's. No issue with that, since it fermented very well. It ended up in about the middle of it's temperature range, maybe a little lower.

If you want to see how we (my brew-buddy and I) do things, let me know. I'll be brewing with him probably one more time before I move, and [hopefully] can brew at home again. Not sure where I'll be moving to just yet. We currently brew at his house in Sudbury.

cool man thanks... and it would be cool to see you guys in action except im moving to boston myself. if you find your way out there we could make it happen more ideally. - cheers and thanks for the response.

Back