Efficiency - Fermentables VS Flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mashuganabrew

Brewing... could anything be better?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've read many times about efficiency and extracting the fermentables from the mash, using protein rests, etc. That's all good, but my question is this.... does that always mean we're extracting the best or most desirable flavors? Is there a way to maximize taste? So, what if I have all the sugars extracted, but am I capitalizing on the best flavor extraction or is this a moot point that should only be considered when making the recipe?

Keep scrolling down this forum section until you find the post titled "great quote from palmer on mash efficiency". I'm on my phone or i'd link it.

Also important to keep in mind that aside from the grain bill which really provides the character of the beer, the strain of yeast chosen along with the selected fermentation temperature really plays a huge part in the actual flavors the beer takes on

I know that once I fully understood the role yeast plays and how to control fermentation I truly started getting the results I wanted out of my product, regardless of the grain bill of the beer

Its mainly your mash temps (ball park range. example: 122-130F,130-150F,150-158F) that create the ratio of unfermentable sugars to fermentable sugars in your wort that will help determine the level of flavor and body. Your recipe and grains that go into it makes a huge difference as well.

Back