Cheap, Easy Fermentation Chamber for $30

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rexbanner

Reaction score
I put a teaser in my sig about this, and I got a lot of messages about it. I promised a thread on how to do it, and now I've finally gotten around to it. Sorry for the delay.

Want to know how you can make an accurate fermentation chamber for cheap in less than an hour? This chamber works with a wall AC unit and temperature controller, which I obviously haven't included in the cost.

Materials:
Three 4x8 pieces of pink foam insulation board
A garbage bag
A cardboard box
Duct Tape
A hack saw

1) When buying the insulation at the hardware store, have an employee cut each piece in half, so you have six 4x4 pieces.

2) Take your cardboard box, cut the flaps off, and set it so it's flush with the edge of one piece of board. Trace it, and then use the hacksaw to cut out the tracing. You can also use a razor blade, or both, like I did, which I think is easiest.

3) Place the box in the newly created hole, and secure it in place with tape. This is the air intake.

61270_831111413979_7822991_46733342_1762823_n.jpg

61270_831111423959_7822991_46733344_489588_n.jpg

4) Make a four-sided cube with the pieces of insulation, and seal with duct tape. Don't worry about everything being super air-tight, its not really necessary. I used cheap duct tape that does not provide a great seal, but will be easy to peel off so I can disassemble this thing when I move out in 3 months.

61270_831111433939_7822991_46733346_6132942_n.jpg

5) Cut off one end of your garbage bag. Wrap one end around your AC and the other around the cardboard box air intake of your cube. Tape in place.

61270_831111408989_7822991_46733341_7618914_n.jpg

6) Set up your temperature controller. Fill your cube with beer, set your temp, and close the cube off with a piece of board. You can tape it in place.

61270_831111418969_7822991_46733343_2676913_n.jpg

Even though mine is far from air-tight, it doesn't really matter. Here she is holding steady at 66 after hour of being switched off. :rockin:

61270_831111428949_7822991_46733345_3366475_n.jpg

Stylish. Is that in an extra bedroom?

No, just a wing of my apartment where I kept all my brewing stuff. Now all my brewing stuff goes inside the cube, so it works out perfectly.

I know it's not the most aesthetically pleasing thing (kind of looks like a gay Kaaba) but it gets the job done.

Where did you get a window unit and a A419 for less than $30?

Thank you for askin that question Id love to hear that answer.

Now here is my question where on gods green earth did you find (3) 48x96 foam panels for 30 bucks?????????? With my discount I paid 28.56 a panel mine are R12 they do cost a wee bit more than R10.
Please introduce me to your people. I need prices like that.

Want to know how you can make an accurate fermentation chamber for cheap in less than an hour? This chamber works with a wall AC unit and temperature controller, which I obviously haven't included in the cost.

Quoted from the OP for those that missed it.

Quoted from the OP for those that missed it.

Thanks. I didn't include it in the cost because 1) Every accurate ferm chamber needs a temp controller and 2) there's a good chance you have access to a wall AC unit, especially during the winter. If it's cold outside, you can use just a fan.

Also, keep in mind that this thing can hold a LOT of carboys. I haven't measured it, but I think it would probably fit at least nine.

Thank you for askin that question Id love to hear that answer.

Now here is my question where on gods green earth did you find (3) 48x96 foam panels for 30 bucks?????????? With my discount I paid 28.56 a panel mine are R12 they do cost a wee bit more than R10.
Please introduce me to your people. I need prices like that.

I got them at Home Depot. It was actually less than 30. I'm sure the ones I got are probably not as good, but they work.

You could do a lot to make this more efficient, but it's a really great jumping off point. I actually plan on doing something very similar only in an extra closet.

You've inspired me to do something similar. We get pallet sized styrofoam coolers at work all the time, I'm sure I could fit at least 4-5 carboys or fermenters in one, plus they're one piece (plus lid) so even more airtight.

You've inspired me to do something similar. We get pallet sized styrofoam coolers at work all the time, I'm sure I could fit at least 4-5 carboys or fermenters in one, plus they're one piece (plus lid) so even more airtight.

Cool, let me know how it turns out.

Also, invest in the more expensive air vent tape, rather than the 2 dollar roll of duct tape like I did. That stuff is worthless. My cube is currently disassembled until I move into my new place, but its winter anyways, and my current domicile is constantly 65.

this is the thread i was looking for! long live DIY. this is all i can afford, and im sure is as functional as most beer production needs to be.

im guessing the fan control prices were left out, but its still a cheap and good design

Back