LG 3-md-hc problem with two pumps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrazza

Reaction score
I need some help figuring out what's wrong with my two new pumps. I bought them both from PexUniverse online. They shipped brand new. When I power them both up, they just hum. The fan in the back doesn't spin, neither does the magnet. I removed the head assembly to look at the magnet, and it won't spin with the head assembly removed. They have been both kept dry in my garage all summer. Is there some sort of locking pin they use during shipping that needs to be removed? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

If the motor/magnet drive assembly are similar to that found on a March, they can be g-forced out of alignment with the same resulting symptom.

Iirc, proper alignment may require a trip back to the manufacturer. I'd contact the seller for advice, you shouldn't have to muck with brand new pumps...

Cheers!

I use a LG 2MDHC. are you running them dry or with liquid? never run them dry!!!!!!! try them as a dry run but with water (confusing I know lol) - fill a bucket/brewpot with water, open valve, connect pump and let it rip. hopefully it works, if not bummer. hopefully running them dry hasn't hurt anything. if it has then don't tell anyone you were running it dry!!

I bet from past experience they were dropped in shipping and the motors are tweaked. Fist thing to try is to take the pump head off and run the motor alone...if that works ok then the alignment of the pump head is off and its rubbing against the drive magnet....you may be able to align it yourself. I'm not familiar with the LG setup but you should be able to loosen the screws holding the motor bracket to the pump head and centter it up as good as you can...it will be a trial and error thing...or just return it and get them replaced if pboth are doing the same exact thing. There is no pin used for shipping in these pumps....atleast not on ours. :) Hope that helps a bit

Oh man, I see the problem... the head assembly is not aligned with the pump motor. When i was building my stand, it tipped over at one point and I now realize that the pumps took the impact. That sucks... So it just looks like the mount is bent a bit. If I can get the heads off then I think I can try to align it myself. Has anyone ever removed the heads from one of these and offer direction? I can get as far as reaching the impeller.
Thanks.

Back