Question about Belgian Candi Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigsnake

Reaction score
I've made a bunch of it before and always hardened it in the fridge and broke it up into little pieces. Problem comes for me when I want to add it to beer. It never seems to dissolve as quickly as the stuff I buy from the home brew stores. It seems to just turn into a sticky blob on the bottom that I have to stir around for awhile until it fully dissolves.

Is there anything wrong if I make the candi sugar as normal, then slowly add some water to make it a thick syrup and just keep it as a syrup instead? It seems this would be a lot easier and quicker to dissolve in the wort. I can't really think of anything bad that would happen? I have a bunch of masson jars I can seal it up in and put in the freezer.

I think that's essentially what the majority of people are using now, the syrup. I have taken a different approach and just make it while the rest of the brewing process is going on. It takes a little timing, but is another alternative. So I only make what I need for a recipe at a given time.

How do you make it into rock candy? Do you use a super-solution til it reaches it's terminal dissolving rate?

How do you make it into rock candy? Do you use a super-solution til it reaches it's terminal dissolving rate?

If you want to make the real rock candy, then you do have to make a super concentrated solution and let the sugar crystallize out. Apparently this takes a long time to do though.

The other way I did before was take the sugar mixture up to its hard crack temp and then cool it down. It'll be rock solid when it cools and you can break it into rocks.

Latest posts

Back