Starter in fridge: decant first?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhochman

Reaction score
I have had a starter on a stir plate for about 36 hours. My brew days was pushed back, so I will be placing the starter in the fridge. I've read a few threads about placing the starter in the fridge, but I didn't notice anything about if I should decant the wort first. I would think the wort would offer a small buffer helping to protect the yeast.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Don't decant until just before you pitch. This allows most/all of the yeast to drop out while it's in the fridge. Try to let the temp rise to the same temp as your wort before you pitch.

If you are going to decant then pitch, be sure to leave your starter on the stir plate until you are sure it's completely fermented.

I always chill and decant my starters. I don't want that fermented wort in my beer. Last starter was in for 8 days and the wort was crystal clear so pretty much all the yeast dropped out. I pitch my starter yeast cold from the fridge, no ill effects from doing so. The decanting method also allows me to make my starter well ahead of brew day so I don't have timing issues. If I needed to do a spur of the moment brew I just use some US-05.

Alright. so I was thinking of saran wrap with a rubber band as a cover for the flask. Any better practices than that?

Yeah, I actually always leave the stir bar in there and put the flask back on the stir plate AFTER I decant. The yeast is tough to break up when it's been sitting there, so just let the stir plate do the swirling for a few minutes.

greatschmaltez said:
Yeah, I actually always leave the stir bar in there and put the flask back on the stir plate AFTER I decant. The yeast is tough to break up when it's been sitting there, so just let the stir plate do the swirling for a few minutes.

Great idea. Flask is in the fridge and much of the yeast settled out over night. I was actually thinking of adding a cup or so of fresh wort after I decant, just to wake the little guys up.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Back