Beer school?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leisure Master

Reaction score
So I've been thinking that I need to take a break in the near future from teaching... and I seem to fancy the idea of doing some kind of course that would teach me how to brew beer.

Whats available out there? Programs from 3 months to 1 year are pretty good time frame for me.

Schools in New Zealand would be a huge, huge... huge bonus!

Cheers fellas! :mug:

Its a shame we were not able to meet up... I was actually in New Zealand in November and December of last year as well.

I'm not in Daegu anymore... I moved up to Seoul for a job. I'm loving being in Seoul... but I had to move into a smaller place so sadly... no home brewing going on at my place right now. Maybe I'll be able to get it going again this fall.

And speaking of the summer off... yes... I am off for at least July. Heading to New Zealand and then off to Hong Kong for a few days before my return to Seoul.

Did you get my PM I sent you a few months back?

Will you be in NZ in July?

I know another guy, sent some music info to, who's in NZ. I asked him if he'd be interested in having a few beers with you. said he would, but is leaving around 20 July.

Here's some of our correspondence:

[FONT='Calibri', 'sans-serif']Hi Bill,[/FONT]

[FONT='Calibri', 'sans-serif']Really appreciate the swift response look forward to trying out some of these patches.[/FONT]

[FONT='Calibri', 'sans-serif']Yes indeed I am Welsh by birth and it is part of our cultural heritage to drink beer. Would be more than happy for you to put me in touch with your friend I am doing a small contract job in Canada in July but not till 20th so will be around to enjoy a glass or to of the local brew. We used to be a bit of a beer brewing wasteland but we now have a number of boutique breweries that turn out some very passable product.[/FONT]

[FONT='Calibri', 'sans-serif']Many thanks[/FONT]

[FONT='Calibri', 'sans-serif']Andy[/FONT]

[FONT='Arial', 'sans-serif']Andy Whittington[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial', 'sans-serif']HealthMAP Ltd[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial', 'sans-serif']Fax +64 9 9841809[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial', 'sans-serif']Mob +64 21 993268[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial', 'sans-serif']Email [/FONT][FONT='Arial', 'sans-serif'][email protected][/FONT]
Skype Andy.Whittington

[FONT='Tahoma', 'sans-serif']From:[/FONT][FONT='Tahoma', 'sans-serif'] Bill & Judy E. [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Tuesday, 17 June 2008 3:50 p.m.
To: Andy Whittington - HealthMAP
Subject: Re: rp 200[/FONT]

No problem Andy. They're still in my library.

Are you a beer drinker by any chance? I brew my own beer and belong to a homebrew forum.

I have a brewing forum buddy coming over to NZ in a bit for the whole month of July I believe. He's an American school teacher teaching in Seoul, Korea.

Care to have a drink or two with him? This would blow the 6 Degrees of Separation theory off a bit by about 3. HAHA!!!

Let me know and I'll have him swap email addresses.

Good luck with the spreadsheets. I hope they are helpful.

Bill

Like I said, it would blow the 6DST away.

Your choice if you want to get in touch with him or not. I always like hooking up with the locals for the local scene, etc.

Later.
Later.

I don't know of anywhere to study brewing here in NZ but if you find out let me know.

I'll do a little research for you and post up if I find anything.

To be honest I don't think there's really anything happening here.

I don't know if it is exactly what you had in mind, but the Siebel Institute in Chicago offers their Concise Course online. I haven't actually taken anything with them myself, but they seem to be well regarded. I'm planning on enrolling in some courses at their Chicago campus in the fall.

Hmmm... Chicago eh?

Whats an apartment cost in Chicago these days?

Figure prices start around USD$600-800 a month for someone living alone. If you want to live downtown, it'll pay for a shoe box of a studio apartment. If you want to live a little farther out, it'll pay for a tiny 1 bed room. Out in the suburbs you'll get a third room out of the deal for about the same price. I'm 20 miles outside of Chicago, I'm paying $750 a month for a house (about $900 after utilities), but it's a sweetheart deal (my landlord is my SWMBO's brother). Market price on my place (2 bedrooms, finished basement) is more likely around $1000/month plus utilities.

Hmmm... Chicago eh?

Whats an apartment cost in Chicago these days?

Pretty expensive, but the beauty of being able to take it online is you can do it from anywhere, including the other side of the world. I would think that taking it in person would be best, but sometimes that just doesn't work out.

Back