Lager Recipe With Ale Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RPMarshall

Reaction score
So I've only got one batch under my belt since receiving my kit for Christmas and while reading Papazian's The Complete Joy of Homebrewing I came across an interesting recipe that I wanted to try for my second batch. My question is this: the recipe is called Bruce and Kay's Black Honey Spruce Lager but in the ingredient list it calls for American Ale yeast and the recipe doesn't instruct the brewer to do any lagering, so is the recipe title a misnomer and it's not really a lager or is there a mistake in the ingredients and I won't correctly brew this beer because I'd be making an ale and not a lager. I don't have the capabilities to lager yet, so if it is a lager I'm going to be trying something else. Thanks for the help.

Weird, a quick Google search turned up a BB post from '95 where someone quotes the recipe with a lager yeast, but I found others talking about it with an ale yeast.

You could always go with White Labs San Francisco Lager yeast (WLP#810). "A unique lager strain which has the ability to ferment up to 65 degrees while retaining lager characteristics. Can also be fermented down to 50 degrees for production of marzens, pilsners and other style lagers."

In my version, The New Complete Joy of Home Brewing, the recipe calls for 1-2 pkgs of lager yeast. I wonder if it was a typo that was corrected in later editions.

I just saw this on the White Labs page:
" WLP862 Cry Havoc
Licensed from Charlie Papazian, this strain can ferment at ale and lager temperatures, allowing brewers to produce diverse beer styles. The recipes in both Papazian's books, The Complete Joy of Homebrewing and The Homebrewers Companion, were originally developed and brewed with this yeast. "

I can't think of a better way to brew one of his recipes than to use his yeast.

Thanks for all the help, I'll see if they have that yeast at my LHBS, and if not how long it will take to get here if I ordered it. If it's too long I might just use an ale yeast and see what happens since Papazian actually says you can interchange yeasts when he introduces his recipe section. Either way, batch number two is coming up this week.

An ale yeast will work fine. Unless you're trying to brew to a particular style for a competition, you can pretty much ferment with whatever yeast you want. Just remember to ferment at a temperature appropriate for the yeast you decide to use and you'll be good.

Back