What do ya think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zproducer

Reaction score
I have some cider that has been in a carboy for about 8 months, I did rack this from a primary fermenter after the initial fermentation died down. I was gonna bottle it, but the days turned to weeks, and the weeks turned to months. I just remembered it today, so I popped of the airlock and it smells nice and appley, and it tastes OK. I took a hydro reeding and I'm getting about 13% ABV.

Question 1 - I used ale yeast, is my alcohol too high to natrual carbonate?

Question 2 - Is it OK to let cider sit in a carboy for months without botteling.

l think that you can leave it in the carboy as long as you want- it's bulk aging that way. You made wine, though- 13% is about what I make my apple wines at.

I don't know if the yeast is still capable of carbonating it- it might be at the alcohol tolerance already.

What is the final gravity at?? if it is more than 1.000 then the yeast have died due to alch tolerance if it is less then 1.000 then there is a chance that they are still able to give a little bit more for the carbonation. Not definate.. but a chance..

SpamDog

Back