are there negative consequences racking into a third fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExplosiveJoseph

Reaction score
I brewed a pale ale and it was very cloudy when I racked into secondary, way cloudier than any other I've brewed. I'd like to help clear it up by racking into a third carboy but I'm concerned it may be unnecessary and may possibly have negative consequences. Any thoughts?

Besides the extra effort and additional risk of contamination and/or oxidation, there shouldn't be a problem. You'd be better served throwing some gelatin in the secondary if you're really concerned with the cloudiness.

Racking again will only expose your beer to more oxygen and potential infections. I would either leave it for longer (and maybe a little colder if possible) in the secondary or look into adding some fining agents such as gelatin for clarity if you are in a rush.

Time is probably the best option IMO since your beer will get that little extra bit of age and let the yeast clean it up a bit.

I've used a third fermenter before, isn't really that useful, but you will have virtually no trub so you can rack with less concern...

How long was it in primary before you racked it to secondary? It might not have hit FG yet. It'll stay cloudy till that happens.

Seriously. Don't worry about cloudy ness at this point. Use whirl flow or Irish moss next time. Clarity should be your very least concern.

Not if it hadn't reached a stable FG before being racked over. It might still be trying to finish up. I think he kept to the kit instructions & wound up racking it over when initial fermentation was done.

I find cold crashing works very well for getting the cloudy stuff to drop to the bottom. Really improves the finished look of the beer.

It was in primary for 10 days and secondary for 10 more days. FG was definitely reached. I bottled 4 gal and I racked 1gal into a mini fermenter and cold crashed it just to see if it helps. Next brew will have gelatin or some other finings in it to avoid this. I understand clarity isn't the biggest issue but I'm still learning about all the small details as well as recipe formulation. I'm trying to avoid using kits anymore. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Back