Help Identifying Off Flavour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyGuy

Reaction score
I made a batch of Edwort's Haus Pale Ale and I've got an off flavour I'm having trouble identifying.

Background info: I made a half batch(10.5L) and hit the both the OG and FG on the nose (70% efficiency, BIAB method). Lag time was short, followed by a vigorous fermentation. Fermented in a 23L carboy for 3 weeks and then straight into the keg. It's been sitting in the fridge at pressure for a week now.

More background info/disclaimer: I'm not a very good taster. I know what I like, but I usually don't know why. I suck at identifying smells and flavours, which makes figuring out what's wrong with my beer that much harder...

Off flavour description:

At first all I could smell was the cascade hops (which smell amazing), but now I'm starting to pick up what *might* be a wet cardboard smell. (though I didn't think this until after reading about oxidization off flavour)

Second, I don't taste anything bad when the beer is in my mouth.

The off flavour is all in the after taste. Right after I swallow I taste the off flavour. I can't quite describe it, but here are a few things that came to mind:
-Flowery - I don't know why, but that's the first thing that came to mind...
-Kind of sweet
-Maybe butterscotch (though I didn't think this until after I read about Diacetyl off flavour)
-Maybe wet cardboard (Once again, I didn't think this till after reading about oxidization off flavour)

I know these descriptions suck, but I can't quite put my finger on what's wrong with this beer. I think that oxidization is good possibility, which may have been caused by fermenting 10.5L of beer in a 23L vessel, but the fermentation was so vigirous I figured the lighter air would have been pushed out of the airlock by the heavier CO2. Maybe that was a bad assumption?

Anyway, depending on the cost, I'd be willing to mail out a bottle or two if anybody wants to try my bad beer :) I would appreciate it. Or if anyone lives close to Edmonton, I could drop off a bottle (and maybe bring you some good beer for your troubles).

Latest posts

Back