Brewing for a VERY limited diet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arlen

Reaction score
So, I have a friend who misses beer a great deal, but she has some pretty serious allergy issues that go way beyond my mile Coeliac disease.

The only grains she can have are Rice, Teff and Quinoa.

Now, I've looked through the entire gluten free section here and sen some really wonderful recipes. It's going to be a few months before I can get back into brewing, but I thought I'd take some time to refresh my brewing knowledge and also ask for some advice.

So you guys, which of these grains have you brewed with and do you have any suggestions/ideas for how to make a decent beer using any of these? (Ideally a brown ale or something else relatively basic.)

Huuuuuuuge thanks for any suggestions.

You probably won't get a brown ale, but there are recipies for brown rice syrup beers and there are quinoa beers, usually when its malted, that are in many threads. The main reason is to avoid the sorghum flavor.

You probably won't get a brown ale, but there are recipies for brown rice syrup beers and there are quinoa beers, usually when its malted, that are in many threads. The main reason is to avoid the sorghum flavor.

Thanks. The idea I've been experimenting with is to mix quinoa and teff/millet with cocoa extract. I've used cocoa before in GF brewing to get a good, dark, nutty ale and thought it might be worth a shot.
I really want to avoid ending up with something wine-y.

Theres a double chocolate stout that you might be able to adapt actually. Check Dkershners blog (link in his post signatures). Check on the other not so common grains we use too. Id try to type more but at this time my phone works better than my broken keyboard. Hard to type with no b, n or space.

Theres a double chocolate stout that you might be able to adapt actually. Check Dkershners blog (link in his post signatures). Check on the other not so common grains we use too. Id try to type more but at this time my phone works better than my broken keyboard. Hard to type with no b, n or space.

Awesome, thanks!!! :mug:
I won't be brewing for about 6 months because I've been here 3 years and am JUUUUUUUUST about to get my work permit, so I need to get my finances back on the level first.
But we have some good brewing stores here in Boise so I'll do a few extract/fast brews first to get back into the swing of things and then start doing some malting and really seriously experiment with grains.

LOL at the keyboard. My dog drooled on mine and it's never been the same since.

A beer with just brown rice syrup has been made by LCasanova, and I did one that was 85% rice. Mine came out pretty good.

You could also look at chestnuts, they are a fruit, not a grain and people have had some success with them.

Back