Heading to Yakima

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't spend a lot of time in Yakima but its pretty close by. There aren't any brewpubs in yakima anymore. There is one brewery but they dont have a tasting room or anything, you can find their beers at places listed here: Yakima Craft Brewing Co. - Find Us

The Beer Shoppe is probably the best bottle selection you can find in south eastern WA

If you want to buy hops in Yakima as a consumer, I'd say the only place you can do so is ACE Hardware (the only place that sells homebrew supplies in town).

I've driven over to Mabton to pickup my order of hops from hopsdirect.com/Puterbaugh farms before, but its not exactly in Yakima. Actually if you wanted to go over to hopsdirect you could go a bit further and go to Sunnyside and go to Snipes Mountain Brewing.

Theres the American Hop Museum in Toppenish. home.html I've never been there before so I'm not sure what to expect.

Yakima is where I spent the first 18 years of my life.... I don't live there anymore and I am happy with that.

Anyways, as the previous poster said, ACE hardware on Tieton does have supplies but all you will get is packaged stuff and nothing that directly came from Yakima.

I did walk into the beer shop last winter looking for hops of course because I was on the same quest you are now on and they seemed like they had a good selection of craft brews. Not sure how long they have been on the shelf but who knows maybe you can find a Abyss, Mirror Mirror or Black Butte XX that has been sitting there for a while.

But yes, Bert Grant died a while back and his legacy and brewpub fell into bad hands (business wise) shortly after that and therefore is no longer around.

But I have been to Snipes in Sunnyside and they have good stuff.

Also if you head east on Nob Hill out of town across I-82 and continue toward Moxee, you are going to see a whole lot O' acres of hops if they haven't demolished them for something else by now.

Not sure how long they have been on the shelf but who knows maybe you can find a Abyss, Mirror Mirror or Black Butte XX that has been sitting there for a while.

Definitely no Abyss. After I missed out picking some up in Boise and the case or two that was available locally was gone I started calling around to find some and they were out within a few weeks of getting their shipment.

Also if you head east on Nob Hill out of town across I-82 and continue toward Moxee, you are going to see a whole lot O' acres of hops if they haven't demolished them for something else by now.

Still lots of hops out that way. Though right now its not that exciting to see since its so early in the growing season.

There was a place that had it on tap about a month ago. I don't expect it to still be there, but I hope the replacement is just as good.

Hey hit me up when you're in town. I might be available to have a couple of pints. There's a few places that aren't terrible, although certainly nothing that really qualifies as a true 'brew-pub'. Second Street Grill has a pretty good selection of NW beers on tap and in bottle, stuff from in town, and Seattle mostly, with a few outliers. Bob's Keg and Cork (not to be confused with Bob's Burgers and Brew, a regional cahin restraunt similar to Red Robin and right off the freeway by the Fairfield Inn) usually has some great imports on tap and in bottles, mostly Belgians the last time I was in, and is within walking distance of Second Street. There's also Bert's Pub out towards West Valley, more of a sports bar, but they too have some decent locals on tap, and good seasonal selection too. Plenty of Wine to taste down town if you're into that, and most of the tasting rooms out in say Zillah opened last weekend. Most offer around 5 tastings, usually gratis.

As For buying hops, the drive to Mabton isn't too bad, 40 minutes each way, if you stay under 70... I'd just go pick up an online/phone order that way, and as others have suggested stop off at Snipes on the way. If you're mobile and it looks like you'll be heading down from up North, you could stop in Ellensburg and visit the Iron Horse tap room, or head bit West to Roslynn, the small town has a small brewer, with two taps. Otherwise Leavenworth for some German imports and a few locals, or Old School house in Winthrop.

Notice the OP's date. I think he's long gone by now.

Yakima Craft Brewing Company has great stuff, but you'll have to find it from that link above.

Back