How would I know if my yeast starter is bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

travlinScott

Reaction score
Doing a yeast starter for the first time. Everything went fine, and the little batch of wort looks fine but.....

Is there any easy way to tell if its bad or contaminated before I pitch it in my real wort? I have smack packs on stand by just in case.

Thanks guys!

Well, is there a big layer of yeast in the bottom of the flask? More details on your process would help out some...

not really, unless it sits long enough to develop a pellicle or something. if you make it today and use it tomorrow the chances of something developing that fast are small. that said, there could be a bug lurking anywhere along the line on your brew day so keep your sanitation up.

Well, is there a big layer of yeast in the bottom of the flask? More details on your process would help out some...

I just made it late last night and I don't really see any activity at all yet.

Activated a smack pack right after supper. It was pretty fresh (From late March of this year) Once I saw that it was swelling pretty good I started working on my starter.

I made a small wort and the gravity was 1.039. I sanitized everything as I went. I boiled the wort for 10 minutes and let it cool to room temperature for about an hour or so in the glass jar I'm using.

Then I wiped the outside of the smack pack with sanitizer solution, set it on the table, and did the same with my scissors before cutting the pack open and pouring the contents in to the jar with the wort.

It's been sitting for about 7 hours now and I don't see much (any) activity, but I don't really know if I should yet or not...

I don't have any real reason to suspect a problem but thought maybe somebody might know some things to watch out for. Just trying to collect as much information as possible.

Thanks guys!

Are you shaking it? Did you aerate your wort before you threw it in? Lack of oxygen will result in a long lag time. If it looks weird and smells bad, it is bad. Otherwise, it's coo.

Shake that (shake that!), shake that (shake that!), shake that healthy yeast.

Are you shaking it? Did you aerate your wort before you threw it in? Lack of oxygen will result in a long lag time. If it looks weird and smells bad, it is bad. Otherwise, it's coo.

Shake that (shake that!), shake that (shake that!), shake that healthy yeast.

+1 definitely shake the jar every hour or so to keep as much yeast as possible in suspension...

OK! That helps a ton. I shook the wort up right before I pitched the yeast, and shook it a little a couple hours later. But I wasn't sure if that was the right thing to do, so didn't do it again. lol. I will go shake dat thang and hopefully we'll get some lift off.

Cheers guys!

Does this look like it's supposed to? It smells fine to me, but I 've never really smelled one before so I'm not sure if I would know.

I'm not brewing until Saturday morning. It's currently sitting in a room at 62 degrees. Should I just refrigerate it until brew day?

yeast starter.jpg

It sounds like you were letting it sit for periods of multiple hours between agitation... did you notice any significant off-gassing when you shook it up? did it get foamy when you shook? That looks like ~32 oz jar and I assume you pitched 1 activator? Looks pretty good in my opinion and I would probably chill it at this point, but I am not an expert and an internet description even with pics doesn't tell the whole story. Good luck, but I truly feel you are right where you want to be.

What strain is it and what do you plan on putting it in?

Looks good to me. You made it too soon. Refrigerate it.

Thanks man. I thought it was early but I've never done it before, and I was going off of
the info in this link to a book on home brewing. I'll stick it in the fridge now.

Thanks again.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-5.html

1. If you are going to brew on Saturday, take the yeast packet out of the refrigerator on Tuesday . Let it warm up to room temperature. If it is a smack pack, place the packet on the countertop and feel for the inner bubble of yeast nutrient. Burst this inner bubble by pressing on it with the heel of your hand. Shake it well. If you are not using a smack pack, proceed directly to step 3. You will be making two successive starters to take the place of the mini-starter smack pack.

2. Put the packet in a warm place overnight to let it swell. On top of the refrigerator is good. Some brewers, who shall remain nameless, have been known to sleep with their yeast packets to keep them at the right temperature. However, their spouse assured them in no uncertain terms that the presence of the yeast packet did not entitle them to any more of the covers. So, just put the packet somewhere that's about 80°F, like next to the water heater.

It sounds like you were letting it sit for periods of multiple hours between agitation... did you notice any significant off-gassing when you shook it up? did it get foamy when you shook? That looks like ~32 oz jar and I assume you pitched 1 activator? Looks pretty good in my opinion and I would probably chill it at this point, but I am not an expert and an internet description even with pics doesn't tell the whole story. Good luck, but I truly feel you are right where you want to be.

What strain is it and what do you plan on putting it in?

You are right on almost every count. And yes there was a bit of off gassing. It is a 32oz jar. And yep I did pitch just one activator.

It is Wyeast 1056. I'm trying to make a Blonde Ale.

Thanks very much for your input. I do appreciate it from everyone.

So here are a couple of quick questions I wanted to confirm on this also....

On brew day, I'm assuming I just pull this out of the fridge when I start, and let it warm up to the temp of the room where I'm going to pitch and ferment. Then When I get ready to pitch, I should dump most of wort that's sitting in this and just pitch the yeast at the bottom.

Should I just pitch this by itself? Or would it be a good idea to activate another Wyeast 1056 and pitch them together?

travlinScott said:
So here are a couple of quick questions I wanted to confirm on this also....

On brew day, I'm assuming I just pull this out of the fridge when I start, and let it warm up to the temp of the room where I'm going to pitch and ferment. Then When I get ready to pitch, I should dump most of wort that's sitting in this and just pitch the yeast at the bottom.

Should I just pitch this by itself? Or would it be a good idea to activate another Wyeast 1056 and pitch them together?

Fridge? I leave it out until pitch time and throw the whole thing in there. If you refrigerate it, you can decant some of the leftover beer, let it warm up, swirl to blend, then pitch.

IMO here is some of the best info on Mr. Malty.
Wyeast says starters reach their maximum cell density within 12-18 hours, which sounds about right to me. Some sources suggest that maximum cell densities are not achieved until 24 hours and others as much as 36, but the return on waiting that long is minimal. Let's just say that the bulk of the yeast growth is done by 12-18 hours. I like to pitch starters while they're still very active and as soon as the bulk of reproduction is finished, usually within 8 to 18 hours. This is really convenient, because I can make a starter the morning of the brew day or the night before the brew day and it is ready to go by the time the batch of wort is ready. There is no need to make a starter a week in advance, because I pitch the whole starter, liquid and all (up to a certain size of starter). Yes, you can wait longer and completely ferment it out so you don't have to pitch the liquid, but if you're going to do that, you should use a larger starter and allow the fermentation to go complete cycle over several days, chill, decant the beer and pitch just the yeast. If you're making a smaller starter, it is better to just pitch the entire active starter within about 6 to 12 hours of pitching the yeast into the starter.

Fridge? I leave it out until pitch time and throw the whole thing in there. If you refrigerate it, you can decant some of the leftover beer, let it warm up, swirl to blend, then pitch.

So, do you think it would be ok sitting at about 60/62 degrees until Sat morning? Thing is, it looks like I started it a bit too early which ok, I get that. Good info for next time. But since I do have it started and it's looking ok, I want to try and keep it good until I can pitch it. So I'm trying to figure out the best strategy I can for that.

So, do you think it would be ok sitting at about 60/62 degrees until Sat morning? Thing is, it looks like I started it a bit too early which ok, I get that. Good info for next time. But since I do have it started and it's looking ok, I want to try and keep it good until I can pitch it. So I'm trying to figure out the best strategy I can for that.

Ahh, I should've read more before posting. My bad. I would throw it in the fridge for now, take it out on Friday night to warm up (also, decant some of the beer off the top- not all of it, but maybe half or so); right before pitching, swirl the hell out of it to mix it all up (just like shaking a vial). It's going to work just fine.

Starters are a must when I brew, and I highly recommend using a stir plate. www.stirstarters.com sells great stir plates for cheap + lifetime warranty!!!

Cheers!

IMO here is some of the best info on Mr. Malty.
Quote:
Wyeast says starters reach their maximum cell density within 12-18 hours, which sounds about right to me. Some sources suggest that maximum cell densities are not achieved until 24 hours and others as much as 36, but the return on waiting that long is minimal. Let's just say that the bulk of the yeast growth is done by 12-18 hours. I like to pitch starters while they're still very active and as soon as the bulk of reproduction is finished, usually within 8 to 18 hours. This is really convenient, because I can make a starter the morning of the brew day or the night before the brew day and it is ready to go by the time the batch of wort is ready. There is no need to make a starter a week in advance, because I pitch the whole starter, liquid and all (up to a certain size of starter). Yes, you can wait longer and completely ferment it out so you don't have to pitch the liquid, but if you're going to do that, you should use a larger starter and allow the fermentation to go complete cycle over several days, chill, decant the beer and pitch just the yeast. If you're making a smaller starter, it is better to just pitch the entire active starter within about 6 to 12 hours of pitching the yeast into the starter.

That is usually what I do. I usually brew on Saturday mornings, so I make the starter on Friday evening, throw it on the stirplate. When I am ready to pitch (usually about 1:00) the starter is at its peak. The brews always take off fast using that method. The only time I do it differently is if I need a huge starter and do not want to pitch the whole thing. Then I will do it a day or two in advance so I can crash and decant off most of the liquid.

I'm sure the yeast will be healthy enough. It's not going to matter much if you refrigerate it or not. One thing you could do is feed it a little wort on brew day. That way you can pitch them active and reduce the shock of being pitched into a full batch. However way you do it you will still make beer.

NB has a lot of cool videos on youtube.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's a yeast strain that I don't already have in the bank, I'll let it go all the way, crash, decant, and fill some vials. Then use the rest for the wort pitch.

Otherwise, yeah, 18ish hours on the stir plate, pitch at high krausen.

I hope its in the fridge right now. Letting it sit at room temp after it has fermented out the starter isn't doing it any favors. Decanting and letting it slowly rise to room temp overnight on brew and then feeding it a little on the morning of brew would be great as it should allow you to pitch metabolically active yeast. However, given that you are pitching into a blonde ale that is likely below 1.070, you should be just fine with what you've got. I would give the yeast a little time to warm up though.

I hope its in the fridge right now. Letting it sit at room temp after it has fermented out the starter isn't doing it any favors. Decanting and letting it slowly rise to room temp overnight on brew and then feeding it a little on the morning of brew would be great as it should allow you to pitch metabolically active yeast. However, given that you are pitching into a blonde ale that is likely below 1.070, you should be just fine with what you've got. I would give the yeast a little time to warm up though.

It is in the fridge. I am planning on brewing early tomorrow so I was going to take it out when I start brewing to let it warm. From there my plan was that once I got through the boil and had the wort cooled off I would decant about 2/3 or so of the beer that's in the starter jar and replace it with fresh wort and swirl it up really good and let that sit for a while before pitching.

I was thinking about maybe also activating a fresh smack tomorrow and pitching it as well. What are your thoughts on that. I'm ok with it being "unnecessary", but I don't think it would hurt anything would it?

As always any thoughts or ideas are very much welcome. And again, thanks to everybody who has taken the time to contribute on this thread. It's been a massive help to me.

What size was the starter? What is the gravity and style of the beer? What strain is the yeast? Pitch rate is dependent on all of those. I don't see any good reason to use another package of yeast. If you were just going to pitch two you probably didn't need the starter anyway.
RDWHAHB

What size was the starter? What is the gravity and style of the beer? What strain is the yeast? Pitch rate is dependent on all of those. I don't see any good reason to use another package of yeast. If you were just going to pitch two you probably didn't need the starter anyway.
RDWHAHB

It was just a thoguht, not sure there is a good reason necessarily - was an idea and thought I'd throw it out there.

Thanks though!

Back