Hops plants came in this morning!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReefKeeper

Reaction score
I just received my order from Great Lakes Hops. I must say that I'm really impressed with the order. They came in about twice the size pictured and were individually packaged and labeled. I got a plant of the following shipped for less than price my local shop was charging for rhizomes:

Centennial
Chinook
Mount Hood
Willamette
Cascade
Kent Golding

They shipped faster than I was expecting so my beds weren't ready for them yet. The directions said to give them light shade for a couple weeks so they are sitting in my garage w/ windows to stay warm (frost advisory tonight, zone 5a) and partially shaded. I put them in pots full of cow manure compost and potting soil with a touch of peat moss mixed in and gave them a light watering.

I am planning on doing a vertical double wire trellis (2 shoots per)to the top of my garage, and then train them horizontally to maximize the plant growth. They will be on the South and East sides of my garage, planted about 5' apart.

Sound like a solid start? Am I missing anything?

get them slowly acclimatized to full sun. i, and several others, threw them straight into the ground with no protection and the plants aren't doing to great. they'll recoup, but that's a week or two of growth that i've lost while the plants figure out how to deal with that ball of fire in the sky. give them filtered/shaded sun for a week.

Back