Need advice on trellis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrNatural

The Original, beware of imposters.
Reaction score
Setting up about 20' row for hops. The wife was off playing with the grandbabies, so I dug hole for the uprights about a foot south of the plants, in case of failure, it falls in my yard and has better triangulation of guy ropes.

Then I head across the street to my buddies shop where we wasted most of the day polishing keggles, swilling Jameson and watching Nascar.

I head back home after the wife had been back for a while, apparently long enough to have a couple of glasses of wine and survey my holes for the uprights. My wife has a Fung Shui condition, that combined with wine, makes me stupid and an A-hole.

Anyway, she points out where she thinks they should be, behind and north of the plants. I disagree, citing the engineering advantages. She says, "DON'T YOU SEE??, (like I'm missing some disruption of cosmic harmonies) You're effing stupid". After a long day of keg polishing and Jameson swilling, the only reply I could summon was, "Eff YOU, if you don't like my effing holes, drill your own effing holes". And I went to mow the front yard to blow off steam. I return 30 minutes later to discover she actually dug the effing holes!

The honorable thing would be to use her locations, since I "offered", but I don't like the triangulation, it doesn't leave option to add two more hops in the row and "think" the hops might like climbing south leaning twine more than north leaning twine. Am I that far off-base? I don't mind being wrong, I just don't have that much experience with it;)

In the second pic, my locations have rake and clamshell digger, hers are behind and inside.
Opinions appreciated.

key0037.jpg

key0039.jpg

The way I see it, one of two things could happen after you use the holes she dug:

1. Her location doesn't work out and you get to throw out an "I told you so."

2. Her location works out, at least well enough, and you get to say, "Wow, you were right. Those hops really do work well there. You are so smart. Where do you think we should put the poles for the next 20 feet?"

Not to mention, she's already demonstrated she is not above digging holes in the backyard. You have to sleep sometime........

Amen to this.

Honestly, north vs. south climbing may make a difference but its impact will be small. Just having them climb is the first challenge. Then getting the proper amount of water and nutrients at the correct times is the second challenge. That will have more impact than which way they are leaning.

For the sake of your marriage, just go with her plan. If you take care of those bines, you won't need to plant 2 more.

You do know what "SWMBO" really stands for, right?

Sure do! Its a euphemism, right?:D

For the sake of your marriage, just go with her plan.
I did, sort of.
Because I'm using cheap 1 3/8" fence top rail for the verticals, I really want the triangulation of my chosen spot.
So I tell her that if they are going to be further back toward fence, they need to be wider, and we'll have to get rid of the 1/2 wine barrels.
"Oh NO!" she says, "I love those barrels there".
So I say, "we'll put them wherever you decide honey".

You gotta fight Fung Shui with bigger Fung Shui;)

Or look at it like this.. for all intents and purposes, hops are weeds. Plant them and let them do their thing and everything will be okay. :)

Back