Can Hard Cider Be Made With Fresh Apples?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ms8miranda

Reaction score
I'm completely new to wine-making, etc, but I was given a bunch of apples - good eating apples. Was thinking of making hard cider with them. All the recipes I can find call for apple cider/juice. Is there a hard cider recipe that starts out with fresh apples?

Since apple wine starts out with fresh apples, I looked into that but I see you shouldn't use sweet eating apples but more sour ones.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!

If you have a juicer or press, you can certainly made cider. I froze and then hand mashed and squeezed apples and crabapples for my wines and ciders.

The problem is that eating apples make poor cider. Tart apples, like those for pies, or those for juice, make good cider.

You would probably end up with more sugars thus having more fermentables thus having a higher alcohol content. That being said lots of us on here use apple juice from the store to make Ed's Apfelwein so what do I know? I'd say try it with what you got, just don't use those flavorless apples they sell at the store because they store longer.

Do you know why? I would think it would make a sweet cider or wine.

Well, no, it doesn't work that way. Eating apples are fine for fresh eating, but don't have much "oomph" to them for pies, and even less for cider. The best tasting cider and juice comes from sour apples/crabapples/crisp apples. Even pies made with eating apples taste "blah", that's why most people use tart apples.

Any cider or wine will ferment to dryness- even using a cider yeast, very little residual sugar remains since the fructose is fermentable. In my apple wine (made with juice) and crabapple wine, I add some acid blend and tannin for some additional flavor. I have to say that the crabapple wine is better- it has a spiciness and apple-y-ness to it missing from many other hard ciders.

You can definitely try this. I don't mean to disuade you. I think starting with eating apples will make a less than great cider, though.

'True' Cider is a combination of Bitter-sharp apples for tannic bitterness and tartness, Bitter-sweet apples for tannic bitterness and sweetness and occasionally some varieties that cross over as both 'eatin' apples and cider apples are used like Spitzenburg and some others. That is the true art of making a stellar Cider, it is in the apple selection/blending.

I make hard cider (and also fresh) from regular 'eatin' apples, it comes out good but in the future I have plans on adding Cider apples to my orchard ;). I saved the natural strain from one of this past years Ciders.

I am going to have access to plenty of fresh apple juice this year, what needs to be done to kill off nasties? I have heard simmer at 160 for 20 min and I have heard to just add campden tablets and let sit for 24 hrs before adding yeast. Any thoughts or advice.

Shawn

I am going to have access to plenty of fresh apple juice this year, what needs to be done to kill off nasties? I have heard simmer at 160 for 20 min and I have heard to just add campden tablets and let sit for 24 hrs before adding yeast. Any thoughts or advice.

Shawn

Don't simmer! Don't heat! It'll give you a cooked flavor. Instead the Campden is proper. I would let it sit for almost 2 days though. They say it dissipates in 24 hours, but to be on the safe side I'd give it a little longer.

If you have a juicer or press, you can certainly made cider. I froze and then hand mashed and squeezed apples and crabapples for my wines and ciders.

The problem is that eating apples make poor cider. Tart apples, like those for pies, or those for juice, make good cider.

Hi Yooperbrew: I'm curious as to how you "hand mashed" your apples & your juice yield. And, if you're willing to share, at what rate did you add your tannin? Also, did you add acid blend, or just malic & at what rate? I don't know if you're familiar with Farnum Hill cider, (www.farnumhillciders.com) but I'd like very much to make something equal to their summer cider; it's the best I've ever tasted. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Regards, GF. :)

Hi Yooperbrew: I'm curious as to how you "hand mashed" your apples & your juice yield. And, if you're willing to share, at what rate did you add your tannin? Also, did you add acid blend, or just malic & at what rate? I don't know if you're familiar with Farnum Hill cider, (www.farnumhillciders.com) but I'd like very much to make something equal to their summer cider; it's the best I've ever tasted. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Regards, GF. :)

"Hand crushed" just involved freezing them a bit, and then smashing them up inside the big plastic bag. Then, to "press" them, we put them in a huge mesh nylon bag and squeeze until nothing else came out. It was ok, but we sure didn't get much juice from them.

The tannin was about 1/8 tsp for the batch, if I remember correctly. I used acid blend, and liked that alot.

I've never even had a commercial hard cider, so I can't comment on that one!

"Hand crushed" just involved freezing them a bit, and then smashing them up inside the big plastic bag. Then, to "press" them, we put them in a huge mesh nylon bag and squeeze until nothing else came out. It was ok, but we sure didn't get much juice from them.

The tannin was about 1/8 tsp for the batch, if I remember correctly. I used acid blend, and liked that alot.

I've never even had a commercial hard cider, so I can't comment on that one!

Thank you! :)

I'm starting the hunt in northern NJ for Crab apple trees in parks and on the street for use in the fall cider. Are there any varieties of apples that should not be used, are unsafe for eating? I'm hoping that anything that looks like an apple should be safe.
Thanks!

The only "unsafe" apples would be ones that might have been sprayed with some kind of pesticide not suitable for food. The parks people might assume that these apples won't be eaten and might have sprayed with something not good for you or your cider. Otherwise there are no apples that aren't safe. Maybe too bitter or nasty tasting to be "edible", but some of the real cider apples don't do well for fresh eating either.

For my cider, I use what ever comes out of my cider press on that day, which is usually a juice from 3 to 8 or more varieties of apples. I immediately pitch my started yeast culture and let it go. Haven't had a bad batch yet.

Back