Need Sausage Gravy Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1/4 C butter, 1/4 C flour, 1/2 C browned sausage, 2 C milk, 1/4 t salt, 1/2 t pepper... that should do it. Brown the sausage, create a roux with the flour and butter on top of the sausage, then add the rest.

I don't have a recipe, but my Southern MIL taught me...

First fry up you sausage. Save a piece. When the bulk is cooked, remove from the pan and mash up the last piece in the pan. Cook till done, then stir in about a tablespoon of flour (depending on how much fat you have/how much sausage you had/how thick you like it). Stir around a bit. Add a cup or two of milk, while stirring/whisking to stop lumps forming. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer. Adjust milk as necessary to get the thickness you like (it should be pretty thick). Now, here is the key: add pepper. Lots of freshly ground black pepper. I give a dozen or two twists on the grinder. Plus a pinch or two of salt. Cook about 5 mins, pour over biscuits and sausage.

Like biscuit and gravy, gravy?

Cook sausage then:

2 Tbs drippings
2 Tbs flour
2 cups warm milk (whole)

Make a roux with the flour and grease over medium heat 3 - 5 minutes.
turn to medium low and whisk in milk and continue whisking until just simmering.

Add some cracked pepper and a dash of salt. Add cayenne or Tabasco if this is too your taste.

Thanks for the quick responses!

Last thing, anybody ever used rice flour or the like to keep it gluten free?

Does cornstarch contain gluten?

Easy White Gravy

1 Tbs Butter
1 Tbs Cornstarch
1 Cup Milk

Mix cornstarch in cold milk. Melt butter in frying pan. Add milk/cornstarch and heat until mixture thickens.

I make this with sausage or chipped beef or sometimes with sliced hard boiled eggs. Serve over toast or biscuits. Usually needs salt.

Thanks for the quick responses!

Last thing, anybody ever used rice flour or the like to keep it gluten free?

It should work but I don't know much about the thickening properties of rice flour. They don't all act the same way. Some starches aren't as stable, others take longer to thinken, and others need more or less to do the same thickening.

Just made Sausage Gravy this morning for SWMBO and future-in-laws.

1 lb sausage
2 c milk
flour to thicken

Never had or seen anything other than something tomato based around here with sausage. Maybe I will try it someday.

It should work but I don't know much about the thickening properties of rice flour. They don't all act the same way. Some starches aren't as stable, others take longer to thinken, and others need more or less to do the same thickening.
In addition, the darker you cook a roux the less thickening power it has.

Never had or seen anything other than something tomato based around here with sausage. Maybe I will try it someday.

Are you serious? What part of jersey? Every diner I have ever been in has has sausage gravy and biscuits. Granted it is more of a souther thing but im not far from you at all and tons of places around here have it.

I will be making the annual biscuits and gravy on Xmas. I go same as the rest with pound of sausage browned and removed, then add a little more butter, thicken with flour and add at least a quart of milk and the sausage, fresh ground black pepper and salt to taste. I don't know about the rest of you but I like my gravy like my thanksgiving gravy, soppable (sp?). Not immobile on my plate and making the biscuits taste moist. As you all are mentioning though, if two tblsp of flour and fat create 2 cups of thickening power, I just add more of each and get more thickening power for more milk. Then add a little more milk to lessen the thickness and I am good. Whole milk on this one too. Makes the best flavor and texture IMO.

And if you are one of those people with a crazy vegetarian in the house, morning star makes some "tasty" sausage and then you just butter the hell out of it since there isn't any fat. Then make accordingly. It will do in a pinch and you can fool all of the meat eaters as long as you don't tell them.

When my cholesterol came in too high I had to change how I make gravy. You can actually make a decent sausage gravy in a healthy way. Turkey sausage, olive oil, flour and 1% milk will actually make a damned good gravy. Of course, I prefer pork sausage, flour and half-and-half. :D And gotta put a little onion and garlic powder in it either way. And sage. Gotta have sage if there's not enough already in the sausage.

I am so doing this Christmas morning while waiting for family to arrive for presents. The baby wakes up around 7:30 every morning and folks are supposed to be arriving by 9:30am.

Might have to do a biscuits and gravy breakfast with a farmers skillet. I'm salivating as I type...

Are you serious? What part of jersey? Every diner I have ever been in has has sausage gravy and biscuits. Granted it is more of a souther thing but im not far from you at all and tons of places around here have it.

I don't frequent dinners much if at all, more of a pizzeria guy and I pretty much skip breakfast except maybe on occasion on the weekend and that is at home. Only time I have ordered sausage at a diner it was with breakfast with pancakes or eggs. Order sausage in a pizzeria and it will come in tomato sauce, that or served with sweet peppers and onions.

Gravy I have only seen on beef (dark), turkey and sometimes chicken (light).

Next time I am at a diner I will have to check the menu.

Tomato based gravy? Must be one of those ketchup on eggs things...:(

The use of tomatoes to make sauces (Italian gravy) is pretty common around here. No different than what you put on pizza, lasagna or spaghetti. Order a sausage sandwich (excluding breakfast sandwiches) it will usually come in tomato sauce. That is unless you are ordering a hot sausage link sandwich (hot dog shape), then it will come plain but with whatever toppings you like.

I don't frequent dinners much if at all, more of a pizzeria guy and I pretty much skip breakfast except maybe on occasion on the weekend and that is at home. Only time I have ordered sausage at a diner it was with breakfast with pancakes or eggs. Order sausage in a pizzeria and it will come in tomato sauce, that or served with sweet peppers and onions.

Gravy I have only seen on beef (dark), turkey and sometimes chicken (light).

Next time I am at a diner I will have to check the menu.

Were you deprived as a child? Basic biscuits and gravy (when made right) are a thing of beauty. You have to have it at least at home if not out at a restaurant! SWMBO and I decided to cruise to all the locals to try the different styles and only one of them was made fresh. All the rest are like "gravy mix" with a smideon of sausage that sits in a hot pan for days until you order it. It takes like five minutes to make fresh if the sausage is cooked and tastes a world different. Butter helps too :)

Try it out at home. Served over fresh biscuits and you are set :mug:

oh yea! Nowadays Biscuits and gravy are at every restaurant. I can make good gravy but I am still working out my biscuit recipe. I like them soft and mine don't rise enough, not like the ones in the refrigerator section.

I make ok biscuits but they are a pain in the ass to make. I have found the frozen pilsbury buttermilk buiscuits to be really damn good. And it works out really well since it is just the 2 of us I can make just 4 biscuits if I want.

Were you deprived as a child? Basic biscuits and gravy (when made right) are a thing of beauty. You have to have it at least at home if not out at a restaurant! SWMBO and I decided to cruise to all the locals to try the different styles and only one of them was made fresh. All the rest are like "gravy mix" with a smideon of sausage that sits in a hot pan for days until you order it. It takes like five minutes to make fresh if the sausage is cooked and tastes a world different. Butter helps too :)

Try it out at home. Served over fresh biscuits and you are set :mug:

So this is a breakfast thing? I did manage to find an online menu in MD and it was on the breakfast menu. Deprived? Maybe, for me breakfast was always eggs prepared in some way with bacon or sausage and some buttered toast or pancakes and sausage. From what I am reading this started as a southern dish and being 50 next summer maybe it was not so popular around here growing up? Like I said though, I skip breakfast 95% of the time and just eat lunch (noon time meal in these parts). I am usually a late riser and a late night person. :D

It is more of a southern thing but we aren't exactly in the great north. Maybe its because I grew up in and my family was mostly from the "country".

edit- have you ever had chip beef gravy? That is kind of the yankee version.

Biscuits and gravy are an anytime thing. We have them for dinner with regularity.

And lets not forget B&G's best friend... chicken fried steak! Another great use for sausage gravy!

Chicken fried steak. Now we are talking. I haven't had good chicken fried steak in probably 8-10 years. Everywhere around here makes it with ground beef and I have just never got around to making it myself.

Or instead of biscuits a lot of times I will put it over eggs and hashbrowns. Damn, I am really starting to get hungry and I just ate.

It is more of a southern thing but we aren't exactly in the great north. Maybe its because I grew up in and my family was mostly from the "country".

edit- have you ever had chip beef gravy? That is kind of the yankee version.

Like creamed beef? As a kid I never found it appetizing. As an adult I have never tried it again.

No excuse for not knowing or tasting other foods but my family is Irish, Scottish, Welch and English up and down. We grew up primarily under Irish and Italian influences. Typical Irish meat and potatoes family. The only southern people I really came into contact with were on TV like the Beverly Hillbillies. :D

I did have pigfarms back up to our yard for several years growing up before they were abandoned, but most of us were just Philly transplants not farmers. Sometimes they would get loose in our yard. :D

Today my menu has broadened somewhat of course.

Biscuits growing up were pretty much served with stew at dinner or at Thanksgiving with Turkey. My mom used to drop uncooked biscuit dough into beef stew near the end of cooking to make dumplings too

X2 It is great, because dinner can be done in 10-15 minutes.

My mom would often make pancakes and sausage for dinner. Then again she would throw some sauerkraut on hotdogs and call it dinner. We were not poor but not rich either and we were a big one income family.

I don't know if it is the same as creamed beef. It is little bits of dried and cured beef (pretty much thin jerkey but without nearly as much flavor) in white gravy. Its usually served over toast or biscuits. Also known as sos or **** on a shingle.

I don't know if it is the same as creamed beef. It is little bits of dried and cured beef (pretty much thin jerkey but without nearly as much flavor) in white gravy. Its usually served over toast or biscuits. Also known as sos or **** on a shingle.

I think it is. I think beef in white gravy instead of brown turned me off as a kid. Back then it came in a sealed boil bag just like sliced beef and turkey did in gravy. Serve either hot on 2 slices of white bread. Next best thing to TV dinners back then. I love my working class roots. :)

The use of tomatoes to make sauces (Italian gravy) is pretty common around here. No different than what you put on pizza, lasagna or spaghetti. Order a sausage sandwich (excluding breakfast sandwiches) it will usually come in tomato sauce. That is unless you are ordering a hot sausage link sandwich (hot dog shape), then it will come plain but with whatever toppings you like.

I think we are using two entirely different definitions of gravy here.:p

I think we are using two entirely different definitions of gravy here.:p

That was me explaining it is not ketchup on the sausage. Many Italians call what most of us call tomato sauce gravy. To me gravy is made with beef, turkey or chicken drippings. ;)

I don't remember my mother ever making gravy and biscuits. Breakfast was mostly oatmeal or cold cereal, depending on the weather. Maybe waffles on a weekend. She did make SoS. Dad loved it. I don't.

Biscuits and gravy are a big deal around here. The local restaurants have them available all day.

Latest posts

Back