CLONE Beer KITS??? Whats AHS MEAN??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbydigital

Reaction score
:ban: ANyone know where i can buy premade "KITS" of clone beers?
WHATS AHS MEAN

DOES THIS LOOK LIKE BLUE MOON CLONE:

Witbier
OG: 1044 / Ready: 6 weeks

Literally, "white beer," this wheat beer originated near Louvain and got its name from its extremely pale, cloudy haze. Witbier was originally made by blending hopped wort with unhopped, bacterially infected wort, which gave it a tart, acidic taste. Fortunately, the Wyeast culture in this kit gives you all of the tartness with none of the bacteria. Light in color and extremely quenching, Witbier's unique flavor is also enhanced by coriander and bitter orange peel.

Austin Home Brew has a database of loads of clone recipes that are "Spot On" They have them for extract, mini mash, & all grain. I can vouch for that.

I brewed their Stone IPA Clone and it's right on the money. Mine is on the right and the Stone is on the left.

IPA2.jpg

Does anyone have problems with AHS because most of their clones are made with liquid malt extract? The one I tried used LME for a Czech Pilsner and it turned out much darker than it should have been, a problem that I've never encountered with DME. The same thing happened to a Kolsch from Midwest Supplies. Those two brews turned me off to LME kits. Or am I doing something wrong?

WOW!!!
I just checked out the clones AHS has... A LOT!!! :ban:
I think I'll be ordering my next kit from there!!!
Thanks guys!!!

:mug:

Levers101 said:
Does anyone have problems with AHS because most of their clones are made with liquid malt extract? The one I tried used LME for a Czech Pilsner and it turned out much darker than it should have been, a problem that I've never encountered with DME. The same thing happened to a Kolsch from Midwest Supplies. Those two brews turned me off to LME kits. Or am I doing something wrong?

I've done quite a few AHS clones in the past- and while the LME does indeed tend to make the beer darker than DME or AG, their LME is fresh and it makes great beer. In fact, the whole kit is fresh. The grains are crushed right when you order them, and the kits are really well put together with clear easy directions. After I went AG, I still occasionally ordered one of their kits.

Has anyone ever tried making their La Fin du Monde clone? I've been pondering giving it a try.

bobbydigital said:
:ban: ANyone know where i can buy premade "KITS" of clone beers?
WHATS AHS MEAN

Unless I'm talking out of my butt (which happens from time to time) AHS means Austin Homebrew Supply.

Everyone else answered the clone questions :p

LME almost always yields a darker beer, due to the processing used to concentrate the extract. DME does too, but to a lesser degree.

some guys go the all grain route just to fix the 'color' of their pale ales (which is damn hard to get extremely 'pale' with an LME base)

thanks i didnt know what AHS meants....but ...i started to realize what AHS means when people kept saying that.

Anybody tried their Aventinus Wiezenbock? That's one of my favorites and it's darned near $4 a pint here. I'd love to brew a reasonably close clone of that one.

EdWort have you tried any others of theirs? Are they all pretty close to the real thing.

Thanks,
Alan W

DeathBrewer said:
yeah...that la fin du monde would be fun.

do all their extract kits use LME?
I am pretty sure that all their kit use LME. I am sure they would sub DME...for a price.

I just brewed their Fat Tire clone (all grain). Yooper Chick posted the recipe and if you add it up it comes to less than a dollar more for the kit...I like that they don't jack up the prices for the kits.

I am tempted to get their Belhaven wee heavy kit, but the yeast was DoA in last kit I got from AHS (Austin, Tx -> Atglen, PA in July).

Maybe I'll order it anyway but get overnight shipping... Anyone try that recipe?

AE

Back