Yeast Amount Question for Hightest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KopyKat

Reaction score
Quote:
Posted Rev. 11 to the Mead Calculator spreadsheet. Revised it to include the capability for two types of juices (SG & volume data entry) and unlocked the Cider SG cell so that the actual SG (if known) may be used.
I used the SG of 1.052 which is the Oregon Fruit Puree Blackberry of brix 13. I used 9 lbs of honey and 30 cups of water to make a 3 gallon batch. and it shows a OG of 1.112. I plug the same figures into BeerSmith and it shows an OG of 1.132.

Potential SG of honey in my beersmith is 1.035 and Oregon Fruit Puree is 1.029.

This is quite a difference and I am not sure where it is wrong. Can you help?

Also, I have not found a calculator for how much yeast to pitch. I will be using D-47 for this batch and it comes in 5G packets. I will be hydrating with GoFerm per your instructions. I checked the MrMalty calculations and for the 1.032 SG for a 3 gallon batch it recommended a little over 4 packets. I doubt that much is needed but I really don't know. Is there some rule different for mead and wine than for beer? If so, can you direct me to a source?

I plan on making this mead in January. It will be 9 lbs honey, 30 cups water, rack onto 6 cups (1can) Oregon Blackberry Puree in secondary after primary begins to slow. All using your calculations on nutrients while fermenting.

I think I see two questions here - one about difference in calculated SG, and another about how much yeast to use.

As far as yeast goes, for mead, wine,& cider I always use dry yeast. With mead, I use one 5g packet for most mead up to 5-6 gallons providing the OG is not greater than 1.125. Above that OG, I use 2 packets. The highest OG mead I made was at 1.174. For that one I used 20g of yeast.

Regarding the difference in calculated SG issue, I'm not sure I fully understand your question. Please clarify it...

I am not sure how to clarify but here goes.

When I plug the same numbers in your spreadsheet to my copy of BeerSmith I get two different OG estimates. Your spreadsheet gives me and OG of 1.112 and BS calculates it as 1.132.

Probably the difference is the Potential SG of the Honey and Puree in BS which is 1.035 and 1.029 respectively.

I doubt that I have made myself clearer. If I was more knowledgeable of the technical aspects of brewing I would be able to explain it better. Then again, if I knew that much I probably could answer my own question. :eek:

...When I plug the same numbers in your spreadsheet to my copy of BeerSmith I get two different OG estimates. Your spreadsheet gives me and OG of 1.112 and BS calculates it as 1.132. ...
What would help is listing each ingredient (and their amounts - with the associated unit of measure) that are being entered into each calculation tool. For example:

PHP:
         HT Calc          BeerSmith
Honey:     xxx               xxx                
Water :    xxx               xxx
Puree:     xxx               xxx

......................HT Calc...................... BeerSmith
Honey
:............9 lb ............................ 9 lb
Water
:........... 30 cups..................... 1.875 gallon
Puree
: .............3 lbs...........................
6 cups

The first thing I noticed is that you list 3 lbs as the data entry value for the puree. I'm not sure how you did that as my spreadsheet uses cups and SG for juice input values.

In any event, when I use 9 lbs of honey, 30 C of water, and 6 C of puree (SG = 1.012 [from Oregon's website]), I get a must whose volume is 3.01 gal with an OG = 1.107. I would attach a screen image so that you could compare my data entries to yours, but that is not permitted on this forum.

I am not aware of how BeerSmith performs its calculations, or what it uses for the SG of honey. I do know that the reason I developed my spreadsheet is that I was not getting the proper results from another Beer calculating program. Although the Beer program did well with beer related calculations, it did not do so well with mead.

What I do know is the mathematics and theory behind my spreadsheet is sound and has been validated by other experienced mead makers. Given accurate input values, it will provide accurate results... ;)

The first thing I noticed is that you list 3 lbs as the data entry value for the puree. I'm not sure how you did that as my spreadsheet uses cups and SG for juice input values.
I did have them transposed. It should have read as below. I converted lbs to cups since each uses a different unit of measure.

......................HT Calc...................... BeerSmith
Honey
:............9 lb ............................ 9 lb
Water
:........... 30 cups..................... 1.875 gallon
Puree
: .............6 cups........................
3 lbs

6 C of puree (SG = 1.012 [from Oregon's website]),
The puree shown on this page of Oregon's site has a brix of 12 which would be a SG of 1.048. (another site had it listed as 13 or 1.052)

http://www.oregonfruit.com/of.pl?pg=io

The above was the only page I could find on Oregon's web site that listed the Brix of the puree packaged for Industry. I really didn't find on there site the 49 ounce cans they sell at the HBS. Perhaps that is on a different site they have?

What I do know is the mathematics and theory behind my spreadsheet is sound and has been validated by other experienced mead makers. Given accurate input values, it will provide accurate results..
I believe you and what I really am trying to get to is to be able to get the same readings in BS so that I can keep my brewlogs for beer and mead in the same place.

I can see the biggest difference is the SG of the Puree. 1.012 seems awfully low for a fruit puree.

If you have a link to where you got that figure I would appreciate it.

..I can see the biggest difference is the SG of the Puree. 1.012 seems awfully low for a fruit puree....
It wasn't you, it was me...:eek: In my haste to answer this issue and shovel the 24+" of snow we just had, I neglected to convert the puree brix (12°B) to SG (1.048). With that change, I also get an OG of 1.112.

So besides a sore back, I also have a bit of embarrassment...:eek:;)

...what I really am trying to get to is to be able to get the same readings in BS so that I can keep my brewlogs for beer and mead in the same place.
Without being able to identify what aspect of BS's calculation is causing this difference, I'm not sure you'll be able to accomplish your objective.

...what I really am trying to get to is to be able to get the same readings in BS so that I can keep my brewlogs for beer and mead in the same place.
Without being able to identify what aspect of BS's calculation is causing this difference, I'm not sure you'll be able to accomplish your objective.

If I read one of your posts correctly, you noted BS uses 1.039 for honey's SG. Unfortunately, average honey has a SG = 1.1471. However I suspect if you used that SG instead of 1.039 your calculated OG difference would be greater...

I believe if I use your spreadsheet calculations as a base line I can tinker BS into submission.

Thanks for all your help and I hope your back recovers soon. Ya know down here in Central Texas we use a teaspoon for a snow shovel. We almost had to break out this December but it was a false alarm.:D

Back