Let's play cider scientist...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schecter

Reaction score
Had to bring my friend to BJ's Wholesale to pick up 2 new tires for his RX8 and had time to kill, so obviously I browsed through to the juice section and saw good prices on 1 gal apple juices.

I picked up 5 gal for a standard batch of hard cider that I commonly do around the fall, but decided to try and tinker a few different recipes, so I picked up 3 more gals.

Cider 1
Spiced Cider

1 gal batch
-2 black peppercorns, ground
-1/8 tsp anise seed, ground
-1/4 in. cinnamon stick, ground
-dextrose
-1 gal Motts apple juice
-Côte des Blancs

I have a lot of ingredients left over from making amaretto, so I decided to go for a decent spiced cider with the "that looks good" approach. I used my spice blender to grind the peppercorns, anise, and cinnamon to a coarse mixture and throw it in the fermentor. If I had thought of this recipe before today, I probably would've soaked this in a spirit to extract the flavors, but what the hell.
Pitched Côte des Blancs at approx. 82F, sadly my ambient temperature at 8:00PM.
O.G.: 1.056, approx 7% estimated ABV

Cider 2
Cinnamon Cider

-1/2 in. cinnamon stick, ground
-dextrose
-1 gal Motts apple juice
-Côte des Blancs

Never made a cinnamon cider, always planned to. Why not start with 1 gal? Knowing cinnamon can be potent I was wary of using so much, but thought the flavor might have trouble coming through as it is and honestly, 1 gal of too-cinnamony-nectar won't upset me much. Ground cinnamon coarse and threw into fermentor, pitched Côte des Blancs at approx. 82F.
O.G.: 1.066, approx 8.5% estimated ABV

Cider 3
Vanilla Cider

-4 tsp. pure vanilla etxtract
-dextrose
-1 gal Motts apple juice
-Côte des Blancs

Anyone know how vanilla and apple juice blend? I don't. Once again; what the hell, why not? Figured if I do like the taste, I can but fresh vanilla beans by the pound to meet my needs. Thought of maybe adding the vanilla come bottling time, don't know if it'll matter, but gotta start somewhere. Pitched Côte des Blancs at approx. 82F.
O.G.: 1.07, approx 9% estimated ABV

I usually use REDSTAR Montrachet, but I've been enjoying the Côte des Blancs for my ciders lately...I'm not professional, but I know what I like. Put the ciders to sleep on ground floor for the night to get a healthy start (or continued start, seeing it WAS a starter...). Will move to ~68F when airlock is singing.

Had some free time tonight (not really but I don't have time any other day!) so I decided to bottle. A solid month in primary with stable final gravities.

Cider 1
Spiced Cider

F.G.: 0.99
Tasted like good ol' Apfelwein with a little kick, but not much flavor from the spices could be tasted due to the alcohol. Very hot right now, hoping it will mellow in time to reveal some flavor (not that I won't drink it anyways!)

Cider 2
Cinnamon Cider

F.G.: 1.00
Similar in taste to the Spiced cider but cinnamon was definitely distinguishable. Upon a remake I would up the cinnamon to 1.5x the amount and see how noticeable it would be then.

Cider 3
Vanilla Cider

F.G.: 1.00
Tasty. Vanilla flavor is clear and I am very happy with it. Not sure how it will taste when carbonated, but it's strong and I can definitely live with it!

Primed each batch individually with 2 tbsp dextrose in 0.2 cup of water. Letting sit on first floor for a week or so to get some warmth, then back to the dungeon they go for a few more weeks.

I made a oat, carmel breiss, cinnamon cider. It was in process for a month. It turned out tasting like a good apple flavored cider with a bit strong cinnamon bite to it. I had 3 today and they kicked my a$$!

That sounds delicious. I feel an oat addition will be in order next batch...

Back