What the Heck?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rigger7

Reaction score
Started a batch of Carmel Hard Apple Cider on Wed. noticed this morning that liquid level in my airlock has gone down.
I've heard of cider back sucking before but what causes this and is it a bad thing?

If the temperature of the juice cools before fermentation starts, that can do it. You want to avoid this, as airlock water water can get funky, but since it already happened and you are only a couple days in, I wouldnt worry about it too much.

rigger7 said:
Started a batch of Carmel Hard Apple Cider on Wed. noticed this morning that liquid level in my airlock has gone down.
I've heard of cider back sucking before but what causes this and is it a bad thing?

Change in temp usually causes this. Did the cider cool down after you put on the air lock?

It's also happened to me when I put the air lock on a bucket, then picked the bucket up and moved it somewhere else.

Change in temp usually causes this. Did the cider cool down after you put on the air lock?

It's also happened to me when I put the air lock on a bucket, then picked the bucket up and moved it somewhere else.

yeah like imagine squeezing a plastic bottle then have it go back to its original shape, it's gonna suck air in or in this case water. when you carry your plastic carboy/bucket i think this happens.

I've had it happen a few times before. Most of the time for me it has just been gasses blowing the water out the top of the airlock. Even when it hasn't seemed to be actively bubbling away.

Either way I wouldn't be overly worried about it. If you are, just use vodka or something that won't carry bacteria.

I had the same problem yesterday. I use a 6 gallon glass carboy so I know it wasn't the squeezing that caused the drop in levels in the airlock. I guess it was just maybe the cooling that was taking place. This time I used vodka as the liquid instead of water. It is slowly bubbling away today so things are good.

Thanks everyone for the help,I moved the fermentor to a warmer spot and that did the trick!

Back