is it okay to pitch yeast after 20 hours on stir plate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetmac

Reaction score
I was trying to time my brew day perfectly, but of course it took longer to cool the wort since it was 106F outside. So I went past the recommended 12-18 hours. I left the starter stir for 20 hours then pitched it.

you should be fine, I usually stir my starter only until I can see a change in colour ( from a bright brown to a cappucino like, usually it takes few hours ) and than I just let it sit for one day or more if I don't have time to brew

Why would you think it wouldn't be? If you're building up a big starter, you may have it sitting there for a week.

Well optimum time to pitch is supposed to be 12-18 hours on stir plate. I've always stirred my starters for 30 hrs then put in fridge and either stepped it up or decanted and stirred them up and pitched. Blah, blah blah. Pitching straight off the stir plate is a new experience for me.

But, I'm happy to say, the little guys are already working hard after just 12 hours. (I pitched at 4am and they were working when I got home at 4pm) So I will probably continue using starters in this manner from here out unless I want to step up.

Back