BYO Hops in the Hog?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewenc

Reaction score
I just read the article in the December BYO magazine "Hops In the Hog". If you haven't read the article it talks of Brain Grossman of Sierra Nevada Brewing Company and Sean Paxton cooking two whole hogs after injecting them with beer and ageing them for six days with Cascade Hops stuffed in the belly cavity. This sounds very interesting and just wanted to know if any of you have tried this or something simmilar. I don't have a smoker that can handle a whole hog but may try a Boston But or a shoulder. Any thoughts?:mug:

I have not tried to cook with hops before, but it seems like that would make the meat fairly bitter? Any body stuffing their thanksgiving turkeys full of hops?

I dont think they ate the hops with the meat but rather just used them to impart the hop aroma/taste into the meat. Hop stuffed turkey? The possibilities are endless.

Have you ever cooked with hops? Im curious if you could use it like an herb or spice? I made a pasta sauce the other night with lots of fresh and dried herbs and ate it with a nice hoppy red, the combination was great! I bet you could make a good pasta sauce with some hops added to it; in fact Im gunna try it!

Back