Bretting a botched batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkorpal

Reaction score
That was a mouthfull. So, I attempted a Arrogant Bastard clone, but due to some rust (a few months off), some equipment problems (thermometer) and some stupid stuff by me, I screwed it up bad. I ended up mashing at too high of a temp, used way too much water, and was lazy with my yeast.

So, now I have a hoppy brown/amber that has stalled at 1.020. I've kind of given up on the idea of actually getting what I intended to get out of this, so what I'm thinking of is transferring it to a carboy I'm not using an pitching some Brett C. Does anyone think a beer like this, with 80 IBU's, will do well, or am I best off not even bothering and trying to re-start my normal fermentation? I figure with some long term aging, I should be able to get rid of a significant portion of the hop characteristics, so it may not be an issue. What is your take?

Wild Devil is basically Hop Devil fermented, at least partially, with Brett. I think that's a great beer! If all you do is to add Brett (and not Pedio or "lambic blend" or anything), you shouldn't have to age it very long for a nice beer. It will probably develop differently as it ages but I think you'd probably be OK to drink it young.

I brewed a saison that I kegged at 1.014 and then decided I didn't like it that much. I transferred it back to a carboy before it had a chance to carbonate and added dregs from two bottles of Orval . After two months it went down to 1.006.
It does have the some brett flavors. What's weird to me is that it still tastes pretty sweet. I'd say give it a go can't hurt.

You could add brett to half the batch and add bourbon to the other half? Both could take care of the sweetness but in different ways.
I like the Brett qualities in hoppy ales. When they are young they are more subtle but after 6-8 months they offer a nice balance to the hops.

Back