Dry Hop Duration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewUO

Reaction score
So we racked our Mirror Pond Pale Ale clone into secondary on sunday with 1oz of cascade hops. I've heard that the longer in secondary the hops will mellow out on the nose. In other words, after a week you would have a hoppier nose then leaving it in for 2 weeks.

Is this the case?

What is the standard for secondary? two weeks?

Thanks

p.s. this is my first batch and I grabbed a sample when racking and it tasted and smelled awesome. Can't wait to bottle.

I need to know this too. I've got my Imperial Hellfire Ale dry hopped right now. The hops have been sitting on the beer for 11 days.
2967-DryHop06.06.06.jpg

RichBrewer said:
I need to know this too. I've got my Imperial Hellfire Ale dry hopped right now. The hops have been sitting on the beer for 11 days.
2967-DryHop06.06.06.jpg

geez wheres the head space? i recently dry hopped a cali common with 2 ounces, for 18 days, and its got a big nose...slight grassy, but not really, only if i try to taste the grass...its good though! (1 ounce n brewer/1 ounce perle)

i use pellets , and i still almost ran out of head space!

Bjorn Borg said:
geez wheres the head space? i recently dry hopped a cali common with 2 ounces, for 18 days, and its got a big nose...slight grassy, but not really, only if i try to taste the grass...its good though! (1 ounce n brewer/1 ounce perle)

i use pellets , and i still almost ran out of head space!
I screwed up and racked it into a 5 gallon carboy. I didn't even think about the hops taking up all that room. There is about 1 inch of head space in it now but I sure wish I would have used one of my 6 1/2 gallon carboys.

Thanks for the reminder, I'd been forgetting about my Loch Ness Monster. I guess I'll be bottling this weekend.
How do you rack a beer off of the whole hops with out picking up a bunch of hop chunks along the way? Last time I put a sanitized net over both ends of the siphon. Any better suggestions?

鯰  said:
Thanks for the reminder, I'd been forgetting about my Loch Ness Monster. I guess I'll be bottling this weekend.
How do you rack a beer off of the whole hops with out picking up a bunch of hop chunks along the way? Last time I put a sanitized net over both ends of the siphon. Any better suggestions?
I put a sanitized hop bag over the end of my racking cane and that seems to work fine. Otherwise it will clog up as you get close to the bottom. I've never seen any hops actually make it into my bottling bucket.

Latest posts

Back