another single tier wooden brew stand build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bake3310

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to build this:
single tier brew stand.jpg

I'm using 2x6's for the top and 2x4's for the rest. I'm going to bolt it together with 2 1/4-20x4 bolts at each leg/horizontal point. I kept the height to the top of the BK low so that it would be easy to see in and make additions.

The HLT and MT are on 1/2 plywood or particle board. The MT is raised 3 1/2 inches because my MT has a port off the bottom instead of the side. I don't need to heat the HLT (at this time) because I have an on-demand hot water heater that gives me 175F water out of a tap in the garage.

I'm going to put the BK on cement board supported by the bottom horizontal 2x4's. I'm planning on bringing the black pipe out of the front and having the ball valve located on the 2x6. This is a 32tip natural gas burner that I have capped to 16 tips. I have metal flashing around the BK hole to protect the wood.

Finally, I'm planning on using 4" or 5" locking swivel casters to move the thing around the garage.

I want to get camlock fittings and silicone tubing for all my connections (either brewhardware.com or bargainfittings.com), 1 or two of these pumps https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/cheap-pump-fda-approved-12v-100c-337933/ and one of these plate chillers http://www.dudadiesel.com/choose_item.php?id=HX1220BWGH.

I should be able to get all the wood, hardware, flashing and black pipe locally (Menards) for about $120. The pump(s), connections, chiller, and tubing will cost another $270.

I built the new stand yesterday.
Here are some pics of the finished stand:
IMG_1546.jpg
The complete stand. I reversed the layout because of how the three legs of the burner were oriented. I also screwed the stand into the cement board to make it a bit more solidly located.
IMG_1547.jpg
The BK area with flashing and the natural gas line. I really like how the valve is protected from heat and works similar to a knob on an appliance.
IMG_1548.jpg
Another shot of the the heat shield flashing. I put some metal duct tape on the flashing after I took the picture to protect me and the little ones from the sharp edges.

I ended up using 5/16 hardware instead of 1/4. The 1/4" stuff just looked too small when I had it in my hand and I was thinking about all the weight (and some of it boiling).

I ordered the pumps, camlock fittings, and tubing today. I'm going to have to wait on the plate chiller. Too much money spent so quickly.

Looks awesome man, anymore updates to the build?

I'm in the planning phase of my wooden single tier build!

Back