Can a hydrometer become un-calibrated?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nasmeyer

Reaction score
I just checked my hydrometer in 60 degree distilled water, and got a reading of 1.004. I would have to believe I calibrated it when it was new but don't remember doing so. Can a hydrometer become un-calibrated without actually breaking the glass? I would have to think that anything that would dislodge the paper would also break the glass.

Just playing the devils advocate here but why is the hydrometer incorrect, and not the thermometer that told you the water was 60?

The themometer would have to be way off to give me a reading 4 points off. I use three different digital thermometers that are only about .3* off from one another so I can rule that out.

nasmeyer said:
I just checked my hydrometer in 60 degree distilled water, and got a reading of 1.004. I would have to believe I calibrated it when it was new but don't remember doing so. Can a hydrometer become un-calibrated without actually breaking the glass? I would have to think that anything that would dislodge the paper would also break the glass.

Well, many hydrometers are calibrated to 68°, but you're right that 4 points is too big a difference.

Short answer is, yes, the paper inside isn't secured (in any hydrometer I've used), and CAN slip. I wasn't even aware of it until I noticed one of mine slipped drastically.

Luckily it's all linear, and you can just subtract 4 points from any reading.

Back