Fridge, wire shelf

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcsewnab

Reaction score
Hey all,
I just bought a new fridge specifically for beer. Not fermenting, just to keep my bottles cold. I found a nice one at sears, freezerless and all the shelves are space well enough that bottles will stand up on all of them. The only downside is all the shelves are the wire grate type. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what I might put on the grate to make the bottle stand better. I don't want to have the bottles tip over especially if it's going to have a domino effect. It would have to be thin since I only have 3/4 inch spacing on a few shelves.

I'm not sure if I can post links on this board but if anyone is intersted.
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...=Freezerless+Refrigerators&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

Jason

You can get 1/8 inch plexiglas at any home improvement store. It's easy to cut and you can sand the edges to smooth them out. I did this in my pantry to support small cans & bottles and it works fine. The bonus is that you will be able to easily remove them should you ever need to clean a shelf.

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like a good idea my only concern is the air circulation in the fridge. I guess I could cut a bunch of smaller holes with a hole saw. I'll give it a try this weekend.

My idea is the same, however I would ask specifically for lexan. 1/16"

You can get different colors it you want them.

Don't work about holes for circulation. My shelves are all glass, from the mfg'r, and they just work fine.

mcsewnab said:
...my only concern is the air circulation in the fridge.

I have a commercial refrigerator with all glass shelves. Restricted air flow isn't that big of a deal since you're not sealing each shelf to the walls or anything.

Back