Intructions on making an all grain system.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EoinMag

Reaction score
Ok Here's the buzz, I have 4 10 gallon beer kegs in aluminum, they aren't needed for anything. I have a brother who has some good metal work skills.
I would like to possibly use three of these kegs to produce an all grain mash and brew system. The question I have is if anyone knows if there are plans anywhere online that I can have a look at to spec up how to make this thing?
I'm only a beginner so this is still a long time off, but I know the kegs can be used in this way as I can see them being converted by a lot of people here to do the job.

So, are there any plans out there? Are they right under my nose on this very forum?

Any help would be much appreciated.

<edit> I spotted the typo in the title, it should read instructions.

This has been much of the inspiration for my rig..... at least initially.
Wort-O-Matic: Baltobrewer's Electric Stand
One thing I can suggest if you are a n00bie, don't build anything extravagant right off the bat. Get several all grain brews under your belt with the cheap basic stuff and use the knowledge you gain to add to the information you find from others. What I have done won't be the best for you... The Pol has a great rig that is the envy of many, but it may not be perfect for you either. Unfortunately, brew rigs have too much "personality" to design a "one size fits all" type of system. You will find that many ideas are present in most if not all rigs, but there are many differences that serve the unique purposes of their brewers.

Very well said bull.
Each person will have their own preferences. You can't know what you want until you brew a few times. As far as just converting the kegs, It is safe to say go ahead and add a SS Ball Valve either welded or not.
Since your kegs are Aluminum and not the standard Stainless you will want to boil some water in them for a protective layer before boiling any wort in them. I don't know the science behind it but just search Aluminum on this forum and you'll find plenty. Look around the DIY forum and also check out this thread for some ideas on what other people are doing. It'll give you an idea of how many options there are out there.

Hi Guys, thanks for the responses, as far as I know the kegs should be aluminum, it's possible that there are stainless mixed in there too, I've not seen them in a bit.

I found the wort-o-matic and brewboard.com since I asked the question and it looks like what I was thinking.

Like I said it's a long way off, I'm a noobie, but I have the kegs there and like I said someone with the ability and was discussing this with him over the weekend over a few HB's and he's game to help.

It's a year or two off yet, I want to possibly brew the beer for my own wedding so this can be part of the plan, I've convinced her that to buy a few cornie setups and brew my own will be just cheaper than buying kegs off of someone else, which is commercial stuff.

Back