Nottingham Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flagman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have always used liquid yeast and decided to purchase a couple packs of this yeast. I used it in two brews that I normally use WYeast 1056. I fermented them at 66F where I normally ferment these two beers.

Both beers have a mild fruity, wine finish. Is this something that others have noticed at these temps? It is not overwhelming but it is there.

I have been reading that most folks ferment much cooler than that. What would you brewers consider the ideal temp to ferment at with this yeast. I have one more pack and would like to try it again.

Thanks

I use notty all the time. I'm sipping a blonde ale fermented with it right now. I ferment between 65 and 68 and haven't noticed the flavor your speaking of.

I haven't really been controlling my temps. They get up in the 70s sometimes. Notty is notorious for the fruity esters. I sorta like that characteristic in my ales, so I don't aorry about it.

The flavor is not that bad but I do notice it because this is a beer I brew all the time. Like I said it is not bad but there. My wife and friends love it and claim they dont taste it.

I think that if I had not been comparing them side by side it may not have been so noticeable.

The nottinham was very agressive in both brews, three days and primary ferment was complete. I left them both three weeks and then transfered to a bright tank for two weeks. They both cleared out beautifully.

I ferment in a deep freeze, I am going to try it again and dial down to about 60F this time.

I ferment mine down around 60-62º, they finish nice and clean.

what he said ^^^^

I will add that notty, for me, prefers to be rehydrated.I tried just pitching right out of the pack a couple times and in both cases it took almost 2 days to get the fermentation rolling.When I rehydrate, it usually takes off in under 12 hours.

Back