For those who live in/near Madison WI looking for gas...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewNinja1

Reaction score
Not that kind of gas! Since I had a little run around, I thought I would share and hopefully help someone in the future if they do a search.

First thing first, best/cheapest place in town to get CO2 (and your tank hydro tested) is at Madison Recharging Service. They do fire extinguishers, safety equipment, etc. A 20# Co2 fill is only $11.50 plus tax, and they do it right away. By comparison, Badger Welding charges $12.50, but only if you leave the tank. It costs an extra $10 to have it filled on the spot.

If your looking for beer gas, and go with Badger welding, DO NOT buy your own tank! Luckily I called there first and talked to a couple of different people on different days (seeing if I always got the same answer....I did). They basically can "try" to do it for you, but cant guarantee a correct mix. Instead you can either buy or rent a 55CF tank. If you buy it, its $130, and fills are $15.46. You dont buy a specific tank, you just buy a tank that gets fills. That way you can just walk in and exchange it for a new one, and you dont have to pay for hydro testing and the like. You can also rent one, but if you keep it for more than 2 years, you are better off buying said tank.

There are a couple of other places in town, but they were way out of my way (I live in Cross Plains and most were on the East Side). The only place I can say for sure to stay away from is Jefferson Fire supply in Middleton. They want INSANE amounts of money for hydro's and fills. Like 3x the price of everywhere else.

Hopefully this helps someone else out.

Thanks for the info. I will have to do some checking around since it is a few years later, but this is still good info.

I just made a couple calls looking to get my 5# tank filled in the Madison area so I thought I would update prices on here.

Jefferson Fire:
5# = $13.90

Madison Recharging:
5# = $10

I didn't call Badger Welding as I have a brand new tank and didn't want it swapped. Both Jefferson Fire and Madison Recharging fill while you wait. I work just a couple blocks from Jefferson Fire so I will probably use them and save myself a trip across town.

Both are open M-F 8-5.

Madison Recharging Service on Winnebago St is great for co2 charging. Nice, fast, professional.

For SodaStream users: They can now refill the original SodaStream containers starting at $6 for the smaller size.

Is notable that Madison Recharging can't always fill on demand. I've had several times over the years when their guy wasn't available for charges so I had to leave the tank. (No trouble though... I have 3)

I ended up using Brew and Grow to get the beer gas tank. And, I always take my co2 tanks to Madison Recharging as well...

Brew & Grow is great but they want $90+ for a 5# tank (filled) and $15 for refills. Their used kegs are also $65 for pin locks, which is at least $20 too much. Anyone know local tank prices?

It looks like I could get up to 3 kegs shipped to Madison for $35 each plus a total of $5 for "Great Lakes Shipping" from AIH. It seems to be cheaper to order 3 kegs at a time because the shipping jumps on the 4th.(if you are in range of the great lakes shipping) I could even get a new unfilled 5# CO2 tank shipped for $70.

2015 Update!

Madison Recharging Services
5# fill - $10 with tax
20# fill- $23.22 plus tax

Badger Welding (probably plus tax)
5# purchase -$64.50 (first fill free, reduces the price)
5# fill - $8.53
20# purchase - $130
20# rent - 10 cents per day ($50 refundable deposit)
20# fill -$12.32

Jefferson Fire and Safety
5# fill- $14.66 plus tax
10# - $20.75 plus tax
20# - $23.65 plus tax

Thanks for the 2015 info! Moved to Madison last month and was hoping for a cheaper alternative to homebrew store prices. So am I understanding correctly that Badger Welding takes the tank when you leave it and may or may not give you the same tank back when you come to pick it up?

If you buy their tank yes, otherwise if it's your tank you'll get it back. You want to buy theirs if you can because you might not have to wait for a fresh tank

They give you back the same tank - matter of fact, most of the time they fill them while I wait. Takes about 5 minutes or so...

For beer gas, I use Brew and Grow...

Filling while you wait may cost extra so you can't count on it.

Also, the people at Brew and Grow are not friendly at all. Don't shop there.

I have not had to pay extra for waiting - costs me $10 for a refill regardless.

Also, I have personally not experienced that at Brew and Grow. They have always treated me well...

Yeah, we bought our ingredients from Wine and Hop Shop for our first brew since moving to Madison and I'm not sure we'll be back much unless Brew 'n Grow doesn't have an Omega yeast we're interested in or something. Malt prices by the ounce at W&H is a bit wild and expensive. The grain mill at W&H is sadly slow and small but what bothered us the most was that a couple of the jars that held specialty malts smelled rancid. The couple pieces of grain I tried did taste okay and not like rancid peanuts but that was definitely off-putting. One employee tried to explain it away as that was how they were supposed to smell but it was like unmalted wheat and something else fairly light too. :/ It'll be interesting to revisit them after the move and expansion.

I've got a couple old 20 lb CO2 tanks from my grandpa's kegerator. Both have rubber on the bottom. My buddy tried to get them filled at Badger but they wouldn't touch them. Concerned that the tanks may be "compromised". Any one know of a place that will hydro and/or swap them?

Just went to Madison Recharge, it's 12 dollars even for a 5# tank rechage and they can't do it between 12-1-1:30...the guy that does it must go on break.

Update: Brew and Grow no longer refills tanks. You're out of luck if you need a refill over the weekend.

Since Brew and Grow no longer fills tanks, does anyone know of a good source for Beer Gas (Nitro/Co2)? I get my Co2 at Madison Recharge, but need to find some place to fill my nitrogen for the stout. Since I don't have to fill it too often, I may even be willing to go as far as Milwaukee if needed.

Update: Brew and Grow no longer refills tanks. You're out of luck if you need a refill over the weekend.

Alienman Paintball in Waunakee (same building as Waunakee Rental) fills CO2 and they are open Saturday and Sunday. Kind of spendy at $20 for a 5# fill, but the hours and easy location make the price a bit more tolerable.

Don't suppose you guys know anywhere closer to Tomah/New Lisbon/Mauston?

Update:
- Madison's Brew and Grow went out of business earlier this year.

- Madison Recharging sold the fire extinguisher part of their company and rebranded the rest of their business as "MRS Lighting & CO2".
They will continue to fill your CO2 tanks at the same location, but more exciting, they will start filling beer gas soon!
I got a 5# co2 fill today ($13) and asked if he filled nitro. He said he has all the equipment for nitro/co2 filling in the back but hasn't set it up yet. He should be ready to fill beer gas (and hence, straight nitro) in a month or so once he finishes the three other projects on his list.

Rehash, with current pricing. Here's the latest on MRS Lighting and CO2. They still don't do tank recertifications - they send out to Jefferson in Middleton. They also do beer gas now, but not frequently, as "the math related to the mixing is a pain in the butt" according to the office manager. HOWEVER, they do have her now filling tanks, so there's no more waiting around for one of the other guys to fill the tanks.
IMG_20191009_152432.jpeg

Bump to update Madison Recharging Services since it's been about 8 months.

1. Moved to 1128 Stewart St. between Fish Hatchery and Hwy 14 south of the Beltline.
2. 5# CO2 refill is just under $28.

Went yesterday for a refill, unfortunately they were out of CO2. The people were super friendly, I can't express how nice both of the people I interacted with were. I arrived right after they closed and they let me in anyway, helped me fill out paperwork to leave tank overnight. The tank was ready for pickup earlier this morning. I'll try to get a price sheet or picture to share.

I'm far east, any updates about eastside places that fill and what they charge?

I know Cannery Wine & Spirits on Main St. in Sun Prairie charges around $35 for 5# tank swap. Seems like they get tanks about once per month so you might want to call to make sure they have bottles if you want one. They do not fill on site.

Bump to update Madison Recharging Services since it's been about 8 months.

1. Moved to 1128 Stewart St. between Fish Hatchery and Hwy 14 south of the Beltline.
2. 5# CO2 refill is just under $28.

Went yesterday for a refill, unfortunately they were out of CO2. The people were super friendly, I can't express how nice both of the people I interacted with were. I arrived right after they closed and they let me in anyway, helped me fill out paperwork to leave tank overnight. The tank was ready for pickup earlier this morning. I'll try to get a price sheet or picture to share.

I'm far east, any updates about eastside places that fill and what they charge?

I know Cannery Wine & Spirits on Main St. in Sun Prairie charges around $35 for 5# tank swap. Seems like they get tanks about once per month so you might want to call to make sure they have bottles if you want one. They do not fill on site.

ETA: As previously stated in the thread above there was a sale of parts of the company and I don't know the history. I looked up Madison Recharging Services on google maps, found the location on Winnebago St., called the number and was forwarded to Summit Companies at 1128 Stewart Street. The 5# refill at Summit was 27.70. I was told it is "food grade" CO2. I can not at this time independently verify this info but was told that the location on Winnebago St will fill CO2 but it is industrial grade/mixed with NO2 and can give a metallic taste.

I was unable to get a price sheet and they are not allowing people inside the business beyond the foyer at this time and are still running a skeleton crew. The location on Stewart St. does pressure testing in house. Right now it is done 2 days a week.

The location on Winnebago is still open - and now doing their normal business hours, btw.

The split in businesses found the one on Stewart St. doing beverage business while the one on Winnebago does utility things (paintball, fire extinguishers, etc.). Both do CO2 tank fills, though.

Last edited:
Madison area brewers, I'm moving to Sun Prairie and looking for tank refill suggestions in the area (brew clubs too!). I have two tanks and generally had them filled in Baraboo. I feel pretty stupid after reading this post because I think I've been drinking Co2 mixed for welding for years and years.

Suggestions please - thanks!

Madison area brewers, I'm moving to Sun Prairie and looking for tank refill suggestions in the area (brew clubs too!). I have two tanks and generally had them filled in Baraboo. I feel pretty stupid after reading this post because I think I've been drinking Co2 mixed for welding for years and years.

Suggestions please - thanks!
Refill only or is swap fine? I live in Janesville and I got a 20 lb at Airgas. It was food grade, aluminum tank and when I need more it’s a swap for ~$30. There’s an Airgas on the east side of Madison on 51. Not sure if they swap tanks not originally purchased from them though.

Also I wouldn’t worry about the gas. CO2 isn’t “mixed” for welding if it’s sold as CO2 and not a mixed gas. I’ve never seen anything conclusive on food grade vs industrial tanks except the FDA requires some additional testing on purity for food grade CO2. But in all likelihoodboth food grade and industrial grade tanks are filled from the same bulk tank.

Refill only or is swap fine? I live in Janesville and I got a 20 lb at Airgas. It was food grade, aluminum tank and when I need more it’s a swap for ~$30. There’s an Airgas on the east side of Madison on 51. Not sure if they swap tanks not originally purchased from them though.

Also I wouldn’t worry about the gas. CO2 isn’t “mixed” for welding if it’s sold as CO2 and not a mixed gas. I’ve never seen anything conclusive on food grade vs industrial tanks except the FDA requires some additional testing on purity for food grade CO2. But in all likelihoodboth food grade and industrial grade tanks are filled from the same bulk tank.

Good info - thanks. I'm good with swapping tanks. I have two (one 5 lb and one 20 lb).

In general, I think people have issues with AirGas as a company not being accommodating. I can't speak to filling in the Sun Prairie area, but the Winnebago St. shop is still open, and I make the trek there (from the SE side) whenever I need to fill my 20lb tank.

If you're looking for clubs, there are a number here - McFarland Hoplslingers for the SE side, Sun Prairie Wort Hogs for the north side, and the Madison Homebrew & Tasters Guild for the catch-all, but they are HUGE.

I just moved north of Janesville and I'll be needing co2 sometime soon. Kinda like to hang onto my 5 and 20# shiny aluminum tanks but wouldn't mind trading in my steel 20# tank that needs a recert. Not sure how this trade in thing works, I've always been able to get my tanks refilled but you gotta do what you gotta do. It's not like you can run down to walmart and pick up some co2

Consider swapping your 20# tank for a 20# siphon tank, then pick up a transfer hose set.
I did this a couple years ago and my only regret was not doing it a decade earlier...

Cheers!

Back