First Real Label

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkewedBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Now that I have about 100 bottles sitting in my storage closet i figure I can afford to slap some cool labels on them and then hand some out at parties. Here's what I have so far, its not completely down but its pretty close to the real thing. I think that my image is stretched too much horizontally, let me know what you guys think...

LabelTemplateBrewTalk.jpg

No, I used Photoshop. You can make something like this with a simpler program like paint if you have a PC, I have a Mac and I'm a video production guy so I like to use photoshop.

Looks really nice, i love the framing with the hops.

SkewedAle said:
I think that my image is stretched too much horizontally, let me know what you guys think...

if you mean the moon, then id have to say yea, it looks a little to tall...it should be round, shouldnt it? other than that it looks fine to me

Moon River...

Ever see the Simpsons episode when Bart and the gang take a road trip and Nelson forces them to stop in Branson to see Andy Williams? Very funny episode.

Brewpastor said:
Moon River...

Ever see the Simpsons episode when Bart and the gang take a road trip and Nelson forces them to stop in Branson to see Andy Williams? Very funny episode.

I have seen that episode now that I think about it, but I pulled Moon River out of my ass kind of, it just sounds interesting and cool. I think I was listening to Fly Me To the Moon by Frank Sinatra when I thought of it.

Man, how did you do that? Did you draw any of it? Can you give me a play-by-play? I'm good with PC's but Photoshop just boggles the mind....

ian said:
sidenote: you guys sure do push Gimp!

I'm not trying to push it, just make it known that it's out there, it's good, and it's free.

Photoshop is a fantastic tool, but some people don't want to cough up the money for a program that that might only use on a few occasions, and this leaves them the option of software piracy if they want Photoshop, or gimp if they want photoshop-esque.

-walker

Being a newbie here, I don't know if people place their labels here for for true critical review, or if it's just the SOP to pat people on the back and say "Good job, Bob" regardless of whether or not it actually IS a good label. So, forgive me if my truly well-intentioned criticism ruffles any feathers; such is not my intent. Anyway, disclaimer over...

There is one major problem; the moon and stars' deformation. The thing is, humans have an uncanny knack at being able to percieve even the slightest defect or malformation in a circle. And your moon there is so seriously out of round; it looks like an easter egg! :( I'd suggest that you try cropping the original image to an oval shape so that the moon stays round (as opposed to deforming the image as has been done).

Good composition can either make or break a piece, even with something like a beer label. Some people simply do NOT have an eye for composition (just as some people are completely tone-deaf), but you've demonstrated excellent composition here; solid layout, good use of color, fantastic typography as well. Whether it was serenditpity or by design, I'd say this is one of the better labels I've yet to see from a private brewer. Kudos.

Fix that elongated moon, and IMNSHO, you'd have damned near a perfect label that would most certainly work for even a commercial product. Good job!

-Surfrider

(edit: i kant spel. :p)

HurricaneFloyd said:
Man, how did you do that? Did you draw any of it? Can you give me a play-by-play? I'm good with PC's but Photoshop just boggles the mind....
Well, most of the coloring and all of the composition were created by me. Some of the images were "borrowed" from a quick image search on Yahoo. My advice is to just create an image in your head and then try to match it by whatever means you have.

Surfrider said:
There is one major problem; the moon and stars' deformation. The thing is, humans have an uncanny knack at being able to percieve even the slightest defect or malformation in a circle. And your moon there is so seriously out of round; it looks like an easter egg! :( I'd suggest that you Try copping the original image to an oval shape so that the moon stays round (as opposed to deforming the image as has been done).

Fix that elongated moon, and IMNSHO, you'd have damned near a perfect label that would most certainly work for even a commercial product. Good job!

-Surfrider
Thanks a lot man. My girlfriend definitely told me the same thing, I am really stubborn and really wanted that tall oval shape, not a more horizontal one, but I guess it must be done.

SkewedAle said:
Thanks a lot man. My girlfriend definitely told me the same thing, I am really stubborn and really wanted that tall oval shape, not a more horizontal one, but I guess it must be done.
No no, I think you misnderstood. You can certainly have both. The image you used is originally circular, right? Then just "cut out" an oval section of the original image. Viola! Properly round moon and stars, but the picture itself is still an oval. :)

nice and simple. I like it. i think your right the image of the moon and stars is a little too stretched. add more stars ;-) also a shooting star over the moon might be kinda cool addition.

nice one!

Imperial Walker said:
or gimp.. free and (in my opinion) just as powerful as PhotoShop...
Gimp is free, and gimp is nice, but comparing it to Photoshop is like comparing an old cga video card to one of the new ones you're working on now. ;)

Surfrider said:
No no, I think you misnderstood. You can certainly have both. The image you used is originally circular, right? Then just "cut out" an oval section of the original image. Viola! Properly round moon and stars, but the picture itself is still an oval. :)
The image of the moon and stars I created is really cool, but its not the tall, its more wide. I wanted to add as much of the original image as possible. That is why I stretched it out...

Depending on how large the original is, you might be able to crop and resize the image to fill the frame without deforming it.

SkewedAle said:
Either I'm not adequately articulating what I mean, or you've inbibed too much of that brew to grok what I'm saying :)D), but here's a visual representation of what I meant when I said you sould keep the image undistorted (ie, round), then cut out an oval section to be used in your label:

ie.jpg

HurricaneFloyd said:
It looks scary at first, but Photoshop really isn't that hard. Years ago when I first decided to use PS (back in '95/'96) it took me maybe two months of casual use to become comfortable with it, and able to do most things I needed to without referencing a book. Another four months of active use gave me the skills to produce a picture of you, say...drinking a beer and partying with a sheep whilst wearing a clown suit...with enough realism to fool even you. ;) The first place to start is google; "photoshop tutorial" will yield LOTS of useful resources. There is no trick to learning to use this app; just start doing it. Too, Adobe has produced several commercial "training suites" for Photoshop that are most excellent.

And, as an aside: It is unfortunate for hard-working developers (like those at Adobe, for example) that the products of their labors can be so easily had, for free, by unscrupulous individuals by way of P2P networks like Bittorrent, and in usenet "warez" groups. Also unfortunate for those same people is how very easy it is for a person with no prior experience with such avenues of piracy to become proficient in their use through simply searching the web, provided they actually put a little thought and effort into educating themselves about such things (as opposed to expecting others to spoon-feed them the information they seek). Lastly, I will state that software piracy is wrong, and I would never, EVER condone or engcourage such a practice. That is all.

-Surfrider

PS: Don't laugh at my 2-min GIMP image or I keel you. :p

Surfrider said:
And, as an aside: It is unfortunate for hard-working developers (like those at Adobe, for example) that the products of their labors can be so easily had, for free, by unscrupulous individuals by way of P2P networks like Bittorrent, and in usenet "warez" groups

You know that the new versions of PS CS2 are nearly impossible to crack...

Ok, here you go, I think I've found a way to compromise the image's original size and the shape of my label. As I stated before, the image was no that tall and I wanted to get as much of it into the label as possible and I think i've gone it...

http://www.geocities.com/moonriverales/index.htm

This isn't the finished product, I still have some tweaking to do, but this shows the new size proportions...

SkewedAle said:
You know that the new versions of PS CS2 are nearly impossible to crack...
The WERE nearly impossible to "crack," yes, for about 24-48 hours after their release.

There is absolutely NO cryptographic scheme of any sort that is impossible to "crack;" their level of security is dependant on the time an resources of those who would seek to challenge it. If your're seriously interested in cryptography, check out sci.crypt; there's some EXCELLLENT material there. Hell, even if you're not seriously interested, I'd at least read the sci.crypt FAQ (trust me; you'll be surprised at it's contents). :)
SkewedAle said:
Ya, I agree, I think it is more risky to do now though, or something...
Not at all. Penalties for piracy haven't really changed that drastically over the years. The only difference is, when some 13 year old kid gets "busted" but the RIAA for sharing a few Metallica cuts over a P2P network, the media is all over it like white on rice. But I digress, this is a topic for another time in another thread. Sorry to go off on a tangent and hijack your thread. :) As for the real reason we're all here (your label)...

F'n A! Great job my friend! Looks very professional!

As for your instinct that it (the oval) is a bit too wide; I'd say follow it and narrow that oval down a bit if it's bugging you. If you don't, every time you look at that label, you'll think "Man, I should have made that lable just a bit more narrow...!" and it will drive you nuts. :D I think 99.9% of people aren't going to notice the difference one way or the other, but being the sort of person who sweats minutia like that, I myself would probably make it a bit narrower, too, just to make myself happy.

Whatever you decide to do, the labels look fantastic! I'd be proud to have that label grace my bottles were I you. :rockin:

-Surfrider

I love the label. It is so simple and beautiful. I can see myself staring at the label after drinking 5 or 6 and the message is loud and obvious and clear. Add anything more to it and the label will look too busy.

Latest posts

Back