My first Partial Mash.... yay

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunjji

Reaction score
Well, I just did my first partial mash!

"Dubbel 'em Up"
SG: 1.048-1.052
FG: 1.010-1.012

After boil & cooldown I had to add a gal of water to make it 5gal. Took a hydro reading and it was 1.056.
I used a Rubbermaid cooler as a mash-tun but, Home dept didnt have all parts I needed to convert it so after 75min at 152, I poured it from cooler into a strainer to my brew kettle, then dumped grains back in cooler and poured more water in, stirred and repeated.

I was going to brew another extract kit I had instead but it takes American Ale yeast and I already had my Belgium yeast starter I made 2 nights ago on a stir plate . Also my first starter, Wyeast 3522.

I was worried OG was gonna be too low :mug:

;)off to a great start but consider BIAB only using our gott cooler as your mash tun. Is what i do with no modification to the cooler. Just need a collander big enough to fit over the cooler to let the grains drain, dont want to try holding that for 10 minutes

Thanks Oz... Just bought two 2'x3' bags and a big colander that will fit over cooler/brew kettle.. And another partial mash kit :cross:

http://***********/component/resource/article/511-countertop-partial-mashing

This is the method I am starting to use. I found the above article very helpful.

Latest posts

Back