Flavor changes when kegging/bottling... (flavor demolition)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parasonic

Reaction score
I recently got four more Cornelius kegs so that I could keg my brews and have them sit for a while (as in long enough for me to take my exams and then enjoy the holiday spirits). Things have happened. Not pleasant things. When I kegged this time, my EPA got a bit of a rough bite to it. It's not quite sour, but it just tastes rather rough. The same happened to a chocolate coffee porter and to a good standard porter.

I made a porter back in February, and it turned out exactly the same when I first kegged it. It originally tasted right on track, sort of like Sierra Nevada porter but without the dirty mushroom flavor of Cascade hops plus too much chocolate malt. Later on, it turned into this nasty tasting, almost starchy stuff with no good flavor to it.

The stuff that I made more recently, about a month ago, has similar problems. I got good conversion, the krausen went absolutely crazy, and when I tasted it as I was racking it to the kegs, it had the perfect flavor. Three days later, it tastes like that initial batch!

Upon visual inspection, all of the brews look a bit cloudy. I have overcarbonated them a bit, but I don't know what is going on.

Ideas? I have about 20 of the 30 gallons brewed over three weeks in these kegs, and I don't want to mess up the last ten if I did something incorrectly during kegging.

Thanks for yo guyzzesz help!

Don't know about your brew, but I over carbonated a California Steam. The beer was good to start with, however, I thought it needed more fizz so I poured the CO2 to it. It became nasty so I turned the gas back to the twelve pound mark and waited a few days. The beer returned to it's satisfactory taste.

I've found that you really need to keep kegs cold or at least cool. Much over 50F and they start getting weird.

thebull said:
Don't know about your brew, but I over carbonated a California Steam. The beer was good to start with, however, I thought it needed more fizz so I poured the CO2 to it. It became nasty so I turned the gas back to the twelve pound mark and waited a few days. The beer returned to it's satisfactory taste.

Yea, I'm sure the more CO2 there is the more it will dissolve in the liquid and form carbonic acid. Perhaps this carbonic acid is what gives it the harsh taste, since of course it is an acidic taste that it would add, this would probably be more obvious if you have overcarbonated. Its like what you get when drink carbonated water, there's always that slightly funny taste (which also depends on what you bought). Well atleast thats my 2c...

Back