Question, because I'm stoopid at stuff like this.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed up a Lake Walk Pale Ale today, and used my new rectangular mashtun. It didn't hold heat very well at all--I probably lost 5-8 degrees in a 90 minute mash. So if I started at 152 and it eventually went down to 145ish, I realize it will be a highly fermentable batch and it will be pretty thin in regards to body.. No big deal. My question is without PH paper, how can I be sure it converted? I did a iodine tincture test and it didn't change, which indicates no starches left. So, I assume it converted. If it didn't what would be my indicator? Terrible efficiency?

FWIW, I calculated 1.052 which gets me into the 72% range.
My assumption is if the mash didn't convert it would be really low, right?

Thanks!

Now I've got to figure out why this cooler didn't hold a temp. I've done about 15 batches in my 5 gallon igloo and it hasn't lost but a degree yet.

:rockin:

DrewsBrews said:
You're brewing today? You lucky bastaaad. :rockin:

I love the new smileys.

Yep, and it is 70 freaking degrees here!!!

I'm already done. I got off work at 7 this morning and was mashed in by 8:30. I got to use my new valley mill--it freaking rawks :rockin: , and I used my new converted keg HLT too. Hopefully I only have 1 more batch on the ghetto system before my brew rig is complete. Father-in-law made the cut list today--buying metal tomorrow, welding some (hopefully all!) of it this weekend.

Got 2 burners on order and then I'll have to rig together the gas lines and I'll be golden. The brewery is really coming together.

Yep, if the iodine stays the proper color you are good to go.

Just FYI, 99% of the starches convert in the first 15 minutes of the mash. So the fact that your temp dropped 7 degrees in 90 minutes is no big deal. It should come out jussssssst fine.

Ahh, so there's a reason you're able to brew on a Wednesday: the ugly shift.

Yikes... I don't remember the winters in VA being nearly that warm. On the flip side, the great NW is dealing with freak cold. We're supposed to be in the teens tomorrow morning. :eek: It was pushing 60 a couple of weeks ago.

Post pics when you're done building the new system. I need ideas, man!

One reson for the temperture drop being so high could be due to the surface area on your new cooler being larger and the mash depth being smaller. Have you insulated the top of your mash tun as you could lose a bit more heat from there? I just throw a heavy towel over the top to insulate it. BTW most of the conversion occurs in the first 20 minutes of the mash.:)

What cooler (brand, model, etc.) did you go with. Also, unless it is really hot outside (85oF +) I always prime mine with boiling water for about 15-20 mins., then drain. I've found it really helps hold the mash temp.:)

Dude said:
I got off work at 7 this morning

7.... 7 in the morning... as in 7AM? Wow.... don't think I would stay sane for very long.... what work do you do in the grave yard shift?

Michael_Schaap said:
7.... 7 in the morning... as in 7AM? Wow.... don't think I would stay sane for very long.... what work do you do in the grave yard shift?

Weather never stops.

I'm a weather forecaster, and a damn good one at that. :rockin: :rolleyes:

Dude said:
Weather never stops.

I'm a weather forecaster, and a damn good one at that. :rockin: :rolleyes:

Forecast some rain for AZ. 122 days and counting not one drop.

UPDATE:

Definitely got some fermentables out of this bugger. I took a gravity reading today and it is at 1.012 after 5 days. Guess I'll rack to secondary tomorrow morning and get teh 6 gallon carboy ready for brewday this Thursday. 06.06.06 baby!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude said:
UPDATE:

Definitely got some fermentables out of this bugger. I took a gravity reading today and it is at 1.012 after 5 days. Guess I'll rack to secondary tomorrow morning and get teh 6 gallon carboy ready for brewday this Thursday. 06.06.06 baby!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm looking forward to how 06.06.06 turns out from all the brewers who try it. What a great idea!

Dude said:
Why don't you brew it? ;)

Lifes short and that thread is waaaayyyy long. Have we summarized the grain bill on that bugger or do I have to read all 199+ posts :confused:

desertBrew said:
Lifes short and that thread is waaaayyyy long. Have we summarized the grain bill on that bugger or do I have to read all 199+ posts :confused:

Final AG recipe is on page 15. Extract recipe on page 19.

Mindflux said:
Yep, if the iodine stays the proper color you are good to go.

Just FYI, 99% of the starches convert in the first 15 minutes of the mash. So the fact that your temp dropped 7 degrees in 90 minutes is no big deal. It should come out jussssssst fine.

I've noticed my iodine regent going dark red (not black) on malt thats high in simple sugars. Also recall that from some high school chemistry.

BTW, I always use iodine to grade my mash... I would be blind without it.

Latest posts

Back