Skim foam off fermenting brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GabrielKnight

Reaction score
I'm only on day 2 after pitching the yeast, but there is already a good deal of foam, with it hitting th lid but not oozing out yet.

Its a 12% BWine kit. My temps are 21*C and the kit says 18 - 25.

Should I skim most of the foam off? I only want to do this if its neccesary as its just more work to sanitise paddles etc and another potential way to introduce unwanteds. Presumedly the foam will go down after a few days but I'm worried it will oxidise then leave off flavours when it sinks back down into the brew. Its all over my hydrometer and probes as well.

Intrestingly this wasn't as bad when I made it with brewing sugar instead of spray malt last time. Hopefully this indicates I'll get a better head with the spray malt this time?

Between 18 and 21 is fine, but don't allow it to get any warmer. Is that the temperature of the room, or is that the temperature of the fermenter? I ask because an active fermentation like that can be much higher inside the fermenter.

Don't skim off the foam, just wait until it dies down in a few days. It sinks back into the beer, and then falls to the bottom and makes a compacted yeast cake on the bottom when it's done. Other things fall to the bottom too, hops debris, proteins in the beer, etc, to make the trub.

What do you mean by the foam is all over the hydrometer? Is the hydrometer inside the fermenter? Most people don't keep them inside the fermenter, since they would get covered with gunk and there is a risk of breaking. I'd get it out of there, and stick the airlock back on.

The foam is a normal part of brewing and needs no attention. If the type of yeast you are using creates a lot of foam (kraeusen) you'll need to rig a blow off tube to handle it.

Tom

Between 18 and 21 is fine, but don't allow it to get any warmer. Is that the temperature of the room, or is that the temperature of the fermenter? I ask because an active fermentation like that can be much higher inside the fermenter.

The min/max thermometer is in with the brew and I adjust the heat mat temperature to get into the desired zone before pitching the yeast.

Don't skim off the foam, just wait until it dies down in a few days. It sinks back into the beer, and then falls to the bottom and makes a compacted yeast cake on the bottom when it's done. Other things fall to the bottom too, hops debris, proteins in the beer, etc, to make the trub.

OK thanks.

What do you mean by the foam is all over the hydrometer? Is the hydrometer inside the fermenter? Most people don't keep them inside the fermenter, since they would get covered with gunk and there is a risk of breaking. I'd get it out of there, and stick the airlock back on.

I usually leave my hydrometer in so I don't have to keep sanitising it to check each time. Its got so much crud on it now, I'll definately fish it out.

I don't have an airlock. Its a huge SSteel pan with the lid not quite flush. Was told this is okay during primary.

I usually leave my hydrometer in so I don't have to keep sanitising it to check each time. Its got so much crud on it now, I'll definately fish it out.

Yes, any crud that collects on it will weigh it down and it won't read accurately that way.

Latest posts

Back